Coffee and the Afterlife

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
You know, I got to thinking about this this morning, and I did a quick Google, but I couldn't find it.

I thought for sure somewhere I saw that coffee was used by some ancient cultures in rituals, but that they also "sent some off" to the after life when they prepared their deceased.

I know it wasn't the Egyptians. Possibly a native american culture, central america possibly? I know the Aztecs and Mayans was cocoa...

I wish I could find the article to share with you guys, it was quite a read, and perfect for the coffee addict :)

Coffee was not only good in this life, but the next. They not only sent some off to the great beyond, but they also used it for rituals as I said (although for the life of me I cannot remember what they were now, it has been quite a while since I read the article).

If you guys happen to stumble upon it in your travels, let me know.. It was a good read, and rather interesting. I'm kind of bummed out I didn't save it :(

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, be much appreciated. I could have sworn it was on-line I saw it... I even think they had a History Channel presentation on it at some point.. Guess I'll go digging through the archives and see what I can find.

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I think I remember hearing something about this and Hawaii rings a bell. I did a quick search about it and couldn't find anything directly. I am not so sure if that is right though because I do not think that coffee was introduced to Hawaii until the 1800's. I am very interested though, I love history!