Coffee and the Afterlife

You know, I got to thinking about this this morning, and I did a quick Google, but I couldn't find it.

I thought for sure somewhere I saw that coffee was used by some ancient cultures in rituals, but that they also "sent some off" to the after life when they prepared their deceased.

I know it wasn't the Egyptians. Possibly a native american culture, central america possibly? I know the Aztecs and Mayans was cocoa...

I wish I could find the article to share with you guys, it was quite a read, and perfect for the coffee addict

Coffee was not only good in this life, but the next. They not only sent some off to the great beyond, but they also used it for rituals as I said (although for the life of me I cannot remember what they were now, it has been quite a while since I read the article).

If you guys happen to stumble upon it in your travels, let me know.. It was a good read, and rather interesting. I'm kind of bummed out I didn't save it

Super Moderator
    I remember reading that, too. I'm not sure if it was on-line. I'm pretty sure it was in a book about the history of coffee. If I figure out where I saw it, I'll let you know.

Rose

Thanks, be much appreciated. I could have sworn it was on-line I saw it... I even think they had a History Channel presentation on it at some point.. Guess I'll go digging through the archives and see what I can find.

I think I remember hearing something about this and Hawaii rings a bell. I did a quick search about it and couldn't find anything directly. I am not so sure if that is right though because I do not think that coffee was introduced to Hawaii until the 1800's. I am very interested though, I love history!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links