Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I learned coffee roasting watching my grandmother doing it an old-fashion way, when I was very young. Today method is different, and every bean has its own characteristic, not to mention, machines have different technical specifications. But it boils down to careful listening, looking, smelling and feeling the beans while roasting.

Quote Originally Posted by farmroast View Post
    check out Sweet Marias for green unroasted beans
    Cool will do this seems very interesting to say the least.

Ummm.. Well, I'm gonna feel like a class A "Heel" but... I uh... Never learned how to roast.. I get the wife to make my coffee....

And she does a damned good job of it too. I know, I know, I really should have learned to do it myself, but... Something about coffee that you didn't make, makes it taste better

Especially if made by someone who loves you...

I have become interested in roasting as well. I have noticed that the Green Mountain Coffee company offers jobs where you learn to roast. I would like for this to be a career change for me, but I wish they had jobs where I lived.

I started on some home roasters buying green off the internet. Then I went and worked with ye olde Topher for a few years on various roasters. It's been a blast. Learn all you can from those around you that have experience, it will come in hand at some point.

I appreciate all of your input. It sounds like a journey of experimentation and documentation. I can pretend to be
    the mad roaster as long as I take good notes. Ok with me. I do have the book "Home Coffee Roasting", I better
    start reading. I am lucky that there is an experienced local roaster willing to help. And after I get started I am
    sure that I will have questions. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS81 View Post
    I have become interested in roasting as well. I have noticed that the Green Mountain Coffee company offers jobs where you learn to roast. I would like for this to be a career change for me, but I wish they had jobs where I lived.
    I can see it being an amazing opportunity to have like an internship and be paid to learn how to roast, but I imagine it is sort of like being a bartender or a movie actor, very tough to break into the good jobs and actually make a decent career out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS81 View Post
    They have some huge industrial roasters. Some not traditional drum roasters. I'm sure they also have high-tech control systems on them too.

If you have local roasters check them out, see if you can work something out. Best if they don't just roast all their beans dark as learning how to roast lighter roast is the most interesting.

Okay cool. I appreciate the info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links