Hello All,
There seems to be several ways to learn to roast the bean. Trial and error,
popcorn machines, classes that range from 5 to 2 days. Right now I am leaning
to the trial and error. How did you go about learning? Thanks :?:

farmroast

Jun 8, 2007
Amherst, MA.
Visit site
Get yourself a decent controllable little drum roaster with good temp. monitoring abilities. For best bang for buck I'd suggest a Quest M3. For much more money you could get a small tabletop pro gas roaster or on the other end a hottop.
Sweet Marias is a great place to get quality beans and they have very helpful very detailed descriptions of each lot with roasting tips. They also have a large library of good information.
Connect with the very active online amateur roasting community. Home Barista forum roasting section has some very talented and experienced roasters that are very helpful. Plus they have a large archive of roasting and roaster discussions to review.

Last edited:

farmroast

Jun 8, 2007
Amherst, MA.
Visit site
Thank you, that is very helpful. May ask how you learned?
I pretty much went the route I described but was also into new roaster designs so built my own hybrid roaster and advanced roast monitoring system. Started in '05. There's a lot more info to be found than when I started. A lot of it is just roasting and cupping the roasts and adjusting with guidance from others experience. It takes a lot of practice and keeping track of what your doing. Hundreds and then thousands of roasts. There's still a lot not really understood about roasting. The reason you wont find too much definitive information.

Last edited:

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Where do you buy the unroasted beans? Are they easy to come buy? The Quest M3 looks like it is super easy to use and would make my coffe that much more fun.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I got lucky and scored an apprenticeship in 93. I wasn't really instructed much from my "teacher" but was happy to get behind the machine. I did that for about years. I went the trial and error route. A lot of notes and tasting. Keep as many notes as possible. Good luck and lets us know your progress...if you have any specific questions let us know...maybe we can give you some pointers.

coffee.lover

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I learned coffee roasting watching my grandmother doing it an old-fashion way, when I was very young. Today method is different, and every bean has its own characteristic, not to mention, machines have different technical specifications. But it boils down to careful listening, looking, smelling and feeling the beans while roasting.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Ummm.. Well, I'm gonna feel like a class A "Heel" but... I uh... Never learned how to roast.. I get the wife to make my coffee....

And she does a damned good job of it too. I know, I know, I really should have learned to do it myself, but... Something about coffee that you didn't make, makes it taste better :)

Especially if made by someone who loves you... ;)

AaronS81

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have become interested in roasting as well. I have noticed that the Green Mountain Coffee company offers jobs where you learn to roast. I would like for this to be a career change for me, but I wish they had jobs where I lived.

bprotsman

Jan 13, 2008
Ft Lauderdale
Visit site
I started on some home roasters buying green off the internet. Then I went and worked with ye olde Topher for a few years on various roasters. It's been a blast. Learn all you can from those around you that have experience, it will come in hand at some point.