Coffee Price

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering about the coffee price in different countries/states/areas. What is the price of coffee in your country/state/area? I know there will be different brands definitely but I just want to know the price of an average coffee which is most famous there? (You can mention the price in your local currency).
:p

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering about the coffee price in different countries/states/areas. What is the price of coffee in your country/state/area? I know there will be different brands definitely but I just want to know the price of an average coffee which is most famous there? (You can mention the price in your local currency).
:p

Well this depends a great deal on the brands as you mentioned, and are you asking about "unmade" coffee, or coffee you buy in a restaurant etc? Also instant coffee or not?

OK, so first off, the majority of coffee sold in these parts is instant (at least in the supermarket) and depending on the brand and the size of the package it runs between $0.10 (single serving size) and $5 (which is enough for about 60 cups so about $0.08 a cup)

Coffee bought in restaurants and coffee chains runs anywhere from $0.05 per cup to $5 per cup (being most expensive)

It all depends as I mentioned ;)

ridwananugrahp

Oct 28, 2012
Indonesia
Visit site
of course its so different. if in country who import coffee maybe it will be more expensive than the country who produce the coffee. like in my country. i can enjoy cup of coffee for less than $1. $1 will make 5 cup of coffee. :coffee:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
of course its so different. if in country who import coffee maybe it will be more expensive than the country who produce the coffee. like in my country. i can enjoy cup of coffee for less than $1. $1 will make 5 cup of coffee. :coffee:

Here exports quite a bit. But yes, if a country grows it, it will definitely be less expensive :)

$1 for 5 cups of coffee, sounds about same as around these parts.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
MyMugsHalfFull:: You say instant coffee is the norm in your neck of the woods? Where are you located?

Even here in the midwest, (Iowa) specialty coffee is becoming the norm.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I know that in my travels in Europe instant was the most common. Even hotel rooms had instant coffee in them. Here in Canada a large coffee at most 7/11,Mcdonalds and Tim Hortons are around $1.50 to $1.80 and most restaurants are in this price range. Most coffee shops are also in this range, with lattes and cap's in the $3.00 range.
Brian

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
MyMugsHalfFull:: You say instant coffee is the norm in your neck of the woods? Where are you located?

Even here in the midwest, (Iowa) specialty coffee is becoming the norm.

I'm located in coffee haven, Central America, specifically a country called Nicaragua. I grew up in Canada though ;)

Yes, instant coffee is the norm around these parts.

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Well this depends a great deal on the brands as you mentioned, and are you asking about "unmade" coffee, or coffee you buy in a restaurant etc? Also instant coffee or not?

OK, so first off, the majority of coffee sold in these parts is instant (at least in the supermarket) and depending on the brand and the size of the package it runs between $0.10 (single serving size) and $5 (which is enough for about 60 cups so about $0.08 a cup)

Coffee bought in restaurants and coffee chains runs anywhere from $0.05 per cup to $5 per cup (being most expensive)

It all depends as I mentioned ;)

Sorry for not being extremely clear in my question.
I was actually asking about both "unmade" (instant) coffee and also the one which is available in "restaurant".
OMG, coffee is quite cheap in your part of the world especially the one bought in restaurants.
How is the quality of coffee which is available for $0.05 in the restaurants? Is it pretty good? OMG, I mean 20 cups of coffee in just $1? Amazing,,,.....:coffeemug:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for not being extremely clear in my question.
I was actually asking about both "unmade" (instant) coffee and also the one which is available in "restaurant".
OMG, coffee is quite cheap in your part of the world especially the one bought in restaurants.
How is the quality of coffee which is available for $0.05 in the restaurants? Is it pretty good? OMG, I mean 20 cups of coffee in just $1? Amazing,,,.....:coffeemug:

Well, I use the term "restaurant" loosely. (This would be the price of a coffee from a stand in a bus station, which they call a "restaurant"). First off, the coffee you get for $0.05 is a very small cup (I would say like 100 mL), and generally speaking it's instant.. It really isn't good for much accept on those long bus trips to try and give the illusion of waking up. 20 cups of coffee.... Would be roughly I think about 3 and a half cups of "normal" sized coffee. Still cheaper. However, it is often also very watered down, room temperature at best, and if you're lucky, it's freshly made at least. I have seen it where they sell the same coffee two days in a row... YUCK....

However, good quality, generally runs about $0.75 to $1.00.

If you want good/cheap coffee than you will want to stay away from the hotels and larger food chains.

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I use the term "restaurant" loosely. (This would be the price of a coffee from a stand in a bus station, which they call a "restaurant"). First off, the coffee you get for $0.05 is a very small cup (I would say like 100 mL), and generally speaking it's instant.. It really isn't good for much accept on those long bus trips to try and give the illusion of waking up. 20 cups of coffee.... Would be roughly I think about 3 and a half cups of "normal" sized coffee. Still cheaper. However, it is often also very watered down, room temperature at best, and if you're lucky, it's freshly made at least. I have seen it where they sell the same coffee two days in a row... YUCK....

However, good quality, generally runs about $0.75 to $1.00.

If you want good/cheap coffee than you will want to stay away from the hotels and larger food chains.

I know generally, the standard of coffee which is available at bus stops/train stations and even at the air-ports is not good. But still, if that is available for $0.05 (small cup), that is pretty nice to serve that "waking up" purpose.
Good quality coffee for $1 is still pretty fine, according to my own opinion.
Yeah, larger food chains generally don't produce good quality coffee but in my vicinity (where I live), there are a few local cafes which really have really good coffee. However, these cafes are mainly for youngsters, not in the strict sense, but they have all the components to attract youngsters.
:coffeemug:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I know generally, the standard of coffee which is available at bus stops/train stations and even at the air-ports is not good. But still, if that is available for $0.05 (small cup), that is pretty nice to serve that "waking up" purpose.
Good quality coffee for $1 is still pretty fine, according to my own opinion.
Yeah, larger food chains generally don't produce good quality coffee but in my vicinity (where I live), there are a few local cafes which really have really good coffee. However, these cafes are mainly for youngsters, not in the strict sense, but they have all the components to attract youngsters.
:coffeemug:

You mean teens? Has it become the norm there for teens to drink coffee in chains? I thought most places the general "crowd" was still mid to late 20's and above. Of course I may have a different thought as to what youngsters are than you do :)

Although it is true that the larger coffee chains are attempting to attract a younger/more "hip" crowd. Not sure why... Normally the bigger spenders are older adults. At least for coffee.

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
You mean teens? Has it become the norm there for teens to drink coffee in chains? I thought most places the general "crowd" was still mid to late 20's and above. Of course I may have a different thought as to what youngsters are than you do :)

Although it is true that the larger coffee chains are attempting to attract a younger/more "hip" crowd. Not sure why... Normally the bigger spenders are older adults. At least for coffee.

Yes, >90% individuals I see there are teens. Yes, it has become a kind of norm for teens. Youngsters for me are 15 to 24...lol...I know its my own definition and a wrong one with respect to international standards.
You are absolutely right when you say that youngsters are being targeted by larger coffee chains. This is so true, while I am also of the same thought as yours, that is, older adults are much more inclined to coffee drinking as compared to the younger ones. If these larger chains target the age group of 30-45, they can earn more profits as they are earning presently. OMG, so genius of me, I am just wondering why didn't I go for MBA marketing or something.......lol.....;)

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, >90% individuals I see there are teens. Yes, it has become a kind of norm for teens. Youngsters for me are 15 to 24...lol...I know its my own definition and a wrong one with respect to international standards.
You are absolutely right when you say that youngsters are being targeted by larger coffee chains. This is so true, while I am also of the same thought as yours, that is, older adults are much more inclined to coffee drinking as compared to the younger ones. If these larger chains target the age group of 30-45, they can earn more profits as they are earning presently. OMG, so genius of me, I am just wondering why didn't I go for MBA marketing or something.......lol.....;)

One of the reasons could be they are trying to "hook" them younger, and have longer lasting clients.. I mean at 40 to 45 years old, most consumers normally stop going to coffee shops when they are let's say 60 right? (as an example)..

So... Say we take a client at the age of 40, until 60.. That's 20 years of patronage... Ok, so in that time let's say they have a morning cup of coffee at $2. They never fail, every single day they have their coffee... So... That would be 365 x 20 years so 7,300 cups of coffee. At $2 a pop, that's $14,600 per customer.

Now, let's say you attract teens and get them hooked on your coffee shop. They may not buy coffee every day, but let's say they go on weekends and maybe some evenings to use the internet, or to buy a cappuccino. so, let's say they get hooked, and they spend an average of maybe $5 per week at the shop from the age of say 19 to 30 (when they start drinking coffee religiously).

So... That's 52 x $5 that's $260 a year for 10 years so $2,600 extra per client. Now.. They started an average of 10 years earlier drinking coffee, so that is an extra $7,300 per client. so by attracting these youngsters into their shops, if they manage to keep them, they will be earning say $9,900 extra per client, than if they just started when they were 40. KA-CHING $$ ;)

multiply that out by say 100, 300 or even 1,000 clients (not unrealistic for larger chains...) and yep... quite an increase to profit...

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Great analysis of the numbers. Also when you hook them younger they aren't in the older age group that would buy supermarket coffee all the time instead of the better quality specialty coffee. Fair trade, organic and tree hugger types aren't usually in the 40+ age.
Brian

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Great analysis of the numbers. Also when you hook them younger they aren't in the older age group that would buy supermarket coffee all the time instead of the better quality specialty coffee. Fair trade, organic and tree hugger types aren't usually in the 40+ age.
Brian

Didn't look at it from that angle... But you're right of course. hmmm.. Be an interesting study. But I am sure that the older the client, the more "standard" their coffee order.. At least that would be my hypothesis.