Strange Uses for Coffee:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok,

So I was bored and surfing around the net sipping a cup of coffee, and I stumbled across a site that listed some very... interesting things you can do with coffee..

Now, some of these I had heard of before, but the majority I hadn't.. Here are some of the interesting things you can do with coffee:

Kill fridge odor

Reduce cellulite

Erase smells on your hands

Make rich compost

Get shiny hair

Natural dye

Reduce fireplace mess

Pin cushion filler

Exfoliate skin

Repel ants

Fertilize plants

Keep cats out of your garden
(I'm going to try this one in my laundry area where I hang my clothes to dry, the neighborhood cats seem to like to urinate in that area all the time... *sigh)

Scrub all kinds of surfaces

Auto air freshener

Grow mushrooms

Repel fleas

Pretty vase fillers

Start vermicomposting

Secret recipe ingredient

Touch up furniture scratches

How many of these things did you know coffee could do? Do you have any other interesting things that can be done with coffee? I was kind of surprised by some of them, but it seems now I have an extra reason to enjoy my coffee in the morning!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I tried using coffee to touch up furniture scratches. It actually works to help blend some color into the scratch.

I once used a hand lotion that I thought would smell nice, but it was terrible. No matter what I did, I couldn't make the perfume smell go away. I decided to try the coffee-ground idea to get rid of the smell, and it worked. Just rub the wet coffee grounds on your hands and rinse. I'd much rather smell like coffee instead of smelling like I fell into a barrel vat of perfume.

Rose

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried this but with our recent snow that we got over the weekend what about putting coffee grounds to help on the sidewalks instead of salt?

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried this but with our recent snow that we got over the weekend what about putting coffee grounds to help on the sidewalks instead of salt?

Interesting idea. Could work for de-icing the front steps for sure. Let me see if I can dig up anything... Did a quick Google search and some other people have used it/brought it up as an idea. Would be an excellent idea for putting on roads as well. Salt wreaks havoc on cars after all. Although that would be a LOT of used coffee grounds... However, if they collected the used coffee grounds from the different coffee chains (and in return offered a tax break of X amount to give incentive) they wouldn't have any problem getting enough!

Although... I would question, do they ever go bad? The used coffee grounds? I could see them needing to be in storage for a long time in some cases for that big an activity.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm not sure about using coffee grounds on your front steps. People would track them into the house, and you'd need to make them take their boots off before they step into the doorway. It would be a real pain to get the brown coffee-ground stains out of the door mat or carpeting once they got inside the house.

Rose

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about using coffee grounds on your front steps. People would track them into the house, and you'd need to make them take their boots off before they step into the doorway. It would be a real pain to get the brown coffee-ground stains out of the door mat or carpeting once they got inside the house.

Rose

You are right Rose. For this reason my grandmother actually had THREE different mats.

I remember going to her house and before you went up the front steps you had a place to wipe your feet, then another one before you entered, and then a THIRD giant plastic one (that ran for I guess 3 feet) for you to take your shoes/boots of before heading into the house.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Rose you might be onto something. I remeber when I had a restaurant and used new cat litter to coat the sidewalk. I was totally shocked when the snow and ice started to melt and discovered that the litter was clay and created quite a mess.
Brian