Dangerous Grounds. Coffee adventure on TV.

Do you watch the TV show "Dangerous Grounds" ?

• Yes, and I am learning about the coffee industry while watching !

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Yes, and I wonder if the danger element is a little dramatic.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No, I have not been able to watch.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • What TV show?

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
Hello fellow coffee enthusiasts.

I did a quick search to see if there was any other mention of Dangerous Grounds and came up with nothing.

I am curious who else is watching this show and if they are enjoying it? I have not figured out to what degree it is 'over the top' dramatic or if Todd's adventures are always like this. There seems to be so much danger, but we dont really see it. I wonder how much of that is for dramatic effect? I know many of these places are in turmoil, so I appreciate that danger exists.

I do compliment Todd and the team for bringing this to the public since most people have no idea where coffee grows or what life is like for the people growing it. Bringing money directly to the farmer is the way it should be and I commend Mr. Carmichael for doing this.

My next question is, who has been to the cafe in Philly? PinkRose, I am talking to you. :p I'd like to go some time and maybe even meet up with some of the members here.

So please discuss, comment, enjoy.

dangerous_grounds.jpg

bprotsman

Jan 13, 2008
Ft Lauderdale
Visit site
I have watched all the episodes and agree it's a tad dramatic. Although I was down in Nicaragua this past March and we were accompanied by armed dudes the whole trip. Though that was a bit overboard until we went to some really sketchy areas.
Looking for coffee isn't all that exciting so a little drama I'm sure helps the ratings. Either way it's a cool show and good for exposure.

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
I recently watched the columbia episode 3 times. (Shared with a couple friends on separate occasions.) I enjoyed it. The tribe that Todd makes friends with on Sierra Nevada seem to be very peaceful. It was interesting to see such a simple way of life.

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
I enjoyed the first season of this show and am glad to see it back for a new season starting January 28 (9:00PM ET) (on Travel Channel).

It certainly seems hyped but nonetheless, an interesting look at where our beans come from.

Last edited:

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
I don't know if anyone here ever watched movie called "bottle Shock" one of my favorite wine movie.... I would love to find a movie or series like that....

Three Sheets was a good tv show. It was about a guy traveling around the world to drink the local adult beverages. Last I knew hulu had all 4 seasons available to watch for free.

Last edited:

cafeaulait

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
This is such a fun show. The drama is definitely over the top, but the view into the remote hillside coffee farming culture is outstanding. I love seeing the differences in landscape, processing, and the role coffee plays in the local economies throughout the different growing regions he visits. I hope to swing by his cafe next time I am in Philly.

artgecko

Apr 5, 2008
Alabama
Visit site
I've been watching it off and on lately. I got curious and just ordered some of his company's coffee... Still waiting to receive it. I'll have to let you guys know what I think when I get it. After I ordered, I read some reviews that said that the la colombe coffee is generally very darkly roasted.. Not what I typically like, but we'll see. I ordered one blend and three different locality coffees to try.

I agree that the drama is probably overdone, but so it goes with all reality shows. I do think it's quite interesting to see how the beans are processed, etc.

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
Hey artgecko, fun idea to order some of his coffee. The episode in Mexico, he told "Hollywood" his camera man he would not tell him where he was hiding the cash so Hollywood would not be in as much danger. Something like that. Then when at the end of the program he wanted to reveal his hiding place..I was not sure I wanted to know! Spoiler alert............... It was in his sock.