Coffee Around The World....

grndslm

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
HowStuffWorks "How Coffee Works"
[h=1]Coffee Around the World[/h]If you travel throughout the world to countries where coffee is the beverage of choice, you'll find that the tastes vary greatly.
  • America - Most Americans still prefer a light roast; but with the popularity of Starbucks, darker roasts are becoming more common. Americans generally like their coffee with cream and sugar. Flavored coffees (which "taste" flavored only due to the aroma of the additive, not because the beans themselves are flavored in any way) are also popular.
  • France - The dark roast called, appropriately, French roast, is popular. The French also like café au lait, a half-milk, half-coffee mixture.
  • Austria - Viennese roast is a blend of two-thirds dark-roast beans and one-third regular roast (what's known as "European roast" flips those proportions).
  • Italy - Italy is the home of espresso, which is coffee brewed by forcing steam through finely ground, dark-roasted coffee beans. Espresso is very strong. By adding frothed milk, espresso becomes such variations as cappuccino, macchiato and cafe latte.
  • Turkey - A Turkish proverb calls coffee "Black as hell, strong as death, sweet as love." Turkish coffee is very finely ground (finer than espresso) and is brewed in little pots called ibriks or cezves. Turkish coffee is often spiced with cardamom, chicory or coriander.
  • Cuba - Similar to espresso, café cubano is an extremely strong coffee that is not sipped -- it is shot, like tequila. In restaurants, Cuban coffee is served at the end of the meal in tiny tacitas, cups smaller thandemitasse cups.
  • Thailand - Thai coffee is a strong, chicory-tinged coffee served with ice and sweetened, condensed milk. To make it at home, add a tablespoon of sweetened, condensed milk to a 6-ounce cup of strong coffee and throw in some ice.

TheCoffeeLocator

Aug 6, 2012
Milano, Italy
Visit site
Nice. you missed a few off. Most of the Arab world drinks with cardomom added (not just Turkey). Personally this is my favourite (I even add a crushed cardomom to my here mocha in Italy).
Saffron is also popular in middle east.
Throughout Indonesia there is great long coffee too.

wbradley

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I really want to try whatever they drink in the Antartica. The scientists out there probably have secret ice beans or something.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Hey i was thinking about new gimmick for coffee.... That was Ice Bean.... lol..... This was my idea.... We all roast coffee on regular roaster. After the roast we try to cool them down fast to stop the roasting process. Thats where you can actually use ice to cool off the beans(not really putting ice on beans) and call it ICE BEANS......... LOL...I think i think about coffee way too much these days....

Anamandy

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
One of the best cups of coffee I ever had was in a hotel in Puerto Rico in the 70s. The hotel brought the pot up to the room and the coffee was with cream and the color of gold. My friend and I wound up staying longer in that room than we intended while we polished off the whole pot. It was that good. I've since tried to make it on numerous occassions but have never even gotten close. Maybe it was because I only had 2 brands of Puerto Rican coffee available to me in the supermarkets here and they might have used another brand, of which there are many in Puerto Rico. I'm still kicking myself for not asking the hotel employees at that time what brand they used. Also, they use a different technique of brewing unlike any I've ever seen in the US - it's a cloth filter suspended over a pot; though they also use espresso type pots too for their finer ground roasts. Here is a link of a company out of Puerto Rico that gives great descriptions about all the different coffee brands that are available in Puerto Rico and also has a nice history of Puerto Rican coffee. For instance, did you know that Puerto Rican coffee was so popular in Europe that it the coffee of choice for the Vatican? The Best Puerto Rico Coffee Shop in the Internet

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
We all have one of those unexpected experiences. I had one of the best sashimi when I was in Korea off of fish market, also fell in love with espresso when I was in Italy at a small restaurant who never gave me his recipe of his espresso. I also had one of the best burger at this dirty restaurant in Savannah Georgia. I still remember all those experiences like yesterday and I will tell everyone what are great those experiences...... ;)... I also wish I could have tasted that coffee you had in Puerto Rico.......

Kave

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am in Australia and I like to drink good, rich aromatic organic coffee. I buy my coffee from Global Organic Coffee which has a great range even the famous Mt Everest beans. I drink organic because I can drink it anytime day and night and it always makes me feel good.

JRMobile

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I’m American and yes my bet is more on the darker roast rather than the light coffee drinks. Of course, not the too dark ones but just the moderate brown roasts. The taste and aroma are just perfect. Even by just saying it, I’m already craving to have some. LOL

manroger4

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know most of the country east of coffee is not the most popular drinks.It is only suitable for teens.All those middle-aged people often use tea.

Last edited: