Where can I learn more about making coffee?

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been drinking coffee for years at the office, never pay much attention what I drink but more or less adding some sugar and cream to the coffee and call it a day!

2 years ago I got myself a Keurig machine and I have been drinking more at home, trying out more variety but I always go back to regular coffee instead of flavored coffee.

Over the Christmas holidays I treated myself a Jura machine that will do all sort of drinks! I've always wanted to try cappuccino at home, buying at Starbucks is getting expensive. Now I can and I got a few bags of beans to try out.

Now the fun begins, the machine has settings for wait time between milk and coffee, how much frothed milk and how much coffee, amount of coffee, etc. So far I've been leaving all as defaults.

Does sugar and type of milk make a difference as well? I'm using 1% milk and tabletop sugar for the coffee. I think what I have so far is pretty good, but it doesn't seem to bring out the full taste of coffee "I think".

Now the question is, is there a process I should follow to learn how to make a better cappuccino? Like if I want more foamy, wait time should be longer in between, or more milk, etc....

As far as coffee beans, what should I try? I don't necessary want too dark but I like the smell of coffee and I don't like flavored coffee. When I was at the store, there were so many to choose from I had no idea!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I thought Jura espresso machine can be very expensive. And I don't know if you can get your money back in anytime soon but... You will definitely get better quality coffee from this.

For a coffee bean, you should look for a independent local coffee roaster who cares about quality not just the price. Please try to buy the fresh roasted coffee and get the good espresso blend to make great cappuccino.

Second. Check on Youtube.com and look for your machine.... there got to be a person who love seeing themselves on Youtube have put on how to make Cappuccino.... and they do have some good tips. Search around few videos.

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, now I'm wondering when I make the coffee, on the menu I can select a larger oz, does it just dispense more water? For example, when I make a coffee, it's set to strong for amount of beans, then just as it was dispensing I could have a choice and I always like a bigger cup, so instead of a 6oz default I changed it to 8oz.

Wonder if this is screwing up the taste?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Its very simple, if you use same amount of coffee and dispense more water, you will have less flavor... so I would add more coffee or dispense less water. Play with your machine and see what give you the best tasting coffee. I love to have to my 24 oz cup every morning... so I normally brew my coffee in French press and I can control amount of coffee and water..... YUmmmmmm....lol

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I think I made some good progress tonight, after some extensive reading online especially about the Jura complains with the milk not hot enough! Didn't realize the milk temperature could make a world of a difference. I lengthen the milk time with the Jura machine to a minute with 2.5oz water, for the first half I just steam the milk for good 30 seconds, then I use the foamy setting to dispense the milk to the cup, then the coffee.

I got some medium roast beans today and the bitter taste is totally gone, and I have changed the grind dial to fairly fine for cuppuccino. I guess I like strong coffee but not necessary dark coffee.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
What kind of grinder are you using? You should set the grinder for "espresso" grind. (Just about as fine as you can get.)

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Like eldub said, grinder alone can make world of differences. And I am glad you are making huge progress. When I was first making my own cappuccino, I had to develop technique to make foam and that took many tries and i had to carefully manage to increase the proper milk temperature. When you are starting from the scratch without someone showing you the proper technique, it will take time but when you find the right combination, you know you made the right choice. And that will bring smile to your face....

Please keep us posted with your progress and let us know if you have more problems..... I know many of us here will be there when you need some help....

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys for your support, eldub, I'm using the grinder from my Jura J9. I have had too many drinks tonight so I better stop for the night :) Will try different grind setting tomorrow when I make my morning coffee. Morning doesn't come soon enough :)

I do seem to have an issue where the water is not dispensing much with my last cappuccino, thinking maybe the beans are a bit on the shiny side? I read it I may need to mix with other beans in this case. Or if a coarse grind setting would be better in this case, but then I don't want to ruin the taste?

Will keep playing more with the foam, oh does it matter the type of milk to use? I'm currently using 1%.

Thanks again for the help guys.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
some people say whole milk does better on foam but I know there are many people using 1 percent.
What do you mean by not dispensing enough water? You mean you are not getting enough espresso? If you wait longer you will get more but if it is automatic, it could regulate the time.... That means your ground is too fine. Maybe use little coarse ground.

Cheers

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
It seems to drips a little and that's it, no way it's 2.5oz. When I power down the machine it goes through a rinse cycle and I see a lot of coffee being dumped out. Will try a more coarse setting next time.

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it does grind the beans by itself but it has a dial for how fine the grind you want. I found for the bean I have, the middle setting seems to be the best.

I think at this point I've mastered the frothing process so I'm good there :) Just have to get the rest better.

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement :)

I think I'm now paying a lot more attention into the details of mixing everything together and how each could interact and the difference it can produce.

At first when I just got the machine, I thought it would work more or less like the Keurig I have, hit the button and the drink is ready! At least when I watched the commercial, that's what it said :) Now I know, once I know the combination works with amount of water, grind setting, and milk, I should be able to program the machine to do what I want. But then it may take the fun out of making coffee :)