Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Bitter Truth About Why Your Coffee Isn't Tasting as Good Lately

This is a discussion on The Bitter Truth About Why Your Coffee Isn't Tasting as Good Lately within the Coffee Table forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; I thought it was only me who found coffee didn't taste as good as it used to. Now I know the reason why the taste ...

The Bitter Truth About Why Your Coffee Isn't Tasting as Good Lately

I thought it was only me who found coffee didn't taste as good as it used to. Now I know the reason why the taste of coffee had changed.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/06/...nny-heres-why/

2. # ADS

That also was posted on Yahoo too and it is pretty well known fact those high volume wholesalers do everything to boost up their bottom line... What are shame....

Not all robusta is created equally.

I came up with a 25% robusta blend for my cousin, who drives trucks over the road, awhile back. He took some of it back to Portland OR where he lives and shared it with some folks. Yesterday he stopped in and picked up four more pounds. It seems there are people in the pacific NW who like the blend enough to have it imported from Iowa.

The crappy part about the big coffee sellers will use 50 percent robusta that they purchased for less then 2 dollars pound.... or less..... If not, how can they sell 3 pounds ground coffee for 10 bucks....

I can't believe what I just read...."there's more Robusta in our coffee but people still find it drinkable." Is that why we drink coffee? One dollar per pound? You get what you pay for. Only Arabica beans will truly delight your taste buds.

Some of the cheap Arabica coffee represents one of the worst coffee in the world. Also they are one of the best when they are grown in right climate and atititudes....

I dont think that robusta is all that useless, apart from reducing price, it also reduces acidity of coffee, can give more depth, and (I believe) helps add froth/creamy surface to an espresso.
    Many Italian blends use it, and they are sticklers for quality of final product, so I dont think they would add robusta just to create a half good product.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheCoffeeLocator where anyone, anywhere in the world, can sell their coffee to anyone, anywhere in the world

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeJunky View Post
    Some of the cheap Arabica coffee represents one of the worst coffee in the world. Also they are one of the best when they are grown in right climate and atititudes....
    That is so true. I read an article a few years ago on how botanist came up with a way to grow coffee in full sun, as opposed to it's natural state under the shade of trees, just to increase yields. For a while now I had attributed that reason for why our coffee didn't taste as good as it used to taste. Now I know there is another reason too. Seems we coffee lovers are getting it from all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCoffeeLocator View Post
    I dont think that robusta is all that useless, apart from reducing price, it also reduces acidity of coffee, can give more depth, and (I believe) helps add froth/creamy surface to an espresso.
    Many Italian blends use it, and they are sticklers for quality of final product, so I dont think they would add robusta just to create a half good product.
    Be that as it may, some people like espresso and others don't. I happen to like it in a cappuccino, but usually after a nice Italian dinner out. In my home I preferAmerican style coffee. I don’t know if it’s the Robusta beans or the fact that coffee is being grown differently to increase yields, but whatever it is the store bought brands have no taste or aroma anymore. That's the problem. Years ago, I remember my mother opening a bag of 8 O’clock coffee (no particular type) and the aroma would fill the house before she even put a pot on the stove. Not to mention how wonderful the house smelled when the pot was brewing. Just the scent made everyone wide awake in anticipation. LOL! Now, it seems coffee has no scent, no matter the price spent on the store brands or even the supposed gourmet brands you can purchase there nowtoo.

Last edited by Anamandy; 01-14-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Solution is very simple for those people living where specialty coffee is available. Buy coffee from a local specialty roaster; buy coffee on-line from a specialty roaster; buy high-quality green beans from a specialty coffee company and roast your own coffee. There is no reason to be "stuck" with low quality coffee with all of the options available in buying high-quality coffee.

Interestingly, Eight-O'clock Coffee often places near the top in blind taste tests. Eight-O'clock is 100% Columbian coffee and they make a fairly consistant quality coffee. Certainly, not as good a fresh roasted specialty coffee ground moments prior to brewing - but, if you insist on buying ground coffee in cans - it's one of the better coffees available.
    Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 02-03-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads