Hello from Key West

HIM

Feb 12, 2013
Key West
Visit site
Hello all. Ive been getting into coffee a lot more lately, especially while smoking a good cigar, and I'm looking into trying some better beans. I live down the street from a great Cuban coffee/sandwich shop and really enjoy the con leche and cortadito they make with Cafe Bustelo. But I like cold brewing my own coffee even more so I'm curious to expand my enjoyment to some great single origin coffee and other blends. Is there a good coffee of the month club anyone would recommend?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Welcome to the board.... And that is great questions.

What method do you use for cold brewing?

To answer your question, there are many websites and here on this board have many great coffee roasters who can help you out and send how you prefer your beans to be roasted.
Try to be more specific about your region you are after on beans.
And since you are more dark and rich blend, you should try more espresso blend....

Again, welcome.....

HIM

Feb 12, 2013
Key West
Visit site
Welcome to the board.... And that is great questions.

What method do you use for cold brewing?

To answer your question, there are many websites and here on this board have many great coffee roasters who can help you out and send how you prefer your beans to be roasted.
Try to be more specific about your region you are after on beans.
And since you are more dark and rich blend, you should try more espresso blend....

Again, welcome.....

Thanks....
I use a qt Tupperware with a cap on top that you'd use for koolaid. Grind the beans a bit larger than for espresso and add them, fill with filtered water, the shake well for 10-15 mins. However long it takes for the grounds to stop rising back to the top. Then let it cold brew for about 24 hours. From there I run it through a filter into a cup of ice and add a splash of milk.
I'm interested in beans from Hawaii, Costa Rica, and Ethiopia. While I do generally prefer a darker richer blend, the lighter roasts I've tried I've also enjoyed. Something I've wondered though is... How much body are you getting out of the beans by cold brewing? Sometimes I feel like it comes out a bit thin.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I think you are using too much water on your coffee... Normally I add about 9 cups of water to 1 pound of coffee. YOu will have very high concentrated coffee... You can add water at 1 parts of coffee to 4 parts of water or you can add just cream or half and half... depending on what you desire. You should be done brewing after around 12 hours. Or you can purchase another system made yama and you can enjoy cold brewing in 3-4 hours...

Yama Northwest Glass Coffee Tea Maker 25 Cup Cold Brew Drip Black Wood New | eBay

HIM

Feb 12, 2013
Key West
Visit site
I'll try using more grounds and see if that does the trick. As for length of time, Ive tried it at 12, 24, and 48 hours and just found I like the flavor better after about 24. Maybe its just in my head but it seems richer and more assertive after a full day. I'm no expert though, just my observation.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I'll try using more grounds and see if that does the trick. As for length of time, Ive tried it at 12, 24, and 48 hours and just found I like the flavor better after about 24. Maybe its just in my head but it seems richer and more assertive after a full day. I'm no expert though, just my observation.

I think you should stick with what you like. There is no wrong on how you brew as long as you like the taste.... The cold brewing takes much longer and requires much more coffee in my opinion....

Cheers..

HIM

Feb 12, 2013
Key West
Visit site
Island Joe's used to have a pretty good selection of beans.

I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

I think you should stick with what you like. There is no wrong on how you brew as long as you like the taste.... The cold brewing takes much longer and requires much more coffee in my opinion....

Cheers..

I agree it takes a lot longer but I like how much smoother and flavorful it is. Ive noticed I use less milk in cold brewed too.

HIM

Feb 12, 2013
Key West
Visit site
Check out Baby's coffee . It can be found at Paradise cafe ir Sandy's.

Ive actually never had their coffee cause they are about 30 mins up the keys from me and I hardly ever leave Key West. But I know theyve been open for over 10 years so that says a lot. Paradise Cafe closed about 3 years ago.