Smoking Coffee Beans

bigred1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Last week I smoked some coffee beans, I took some to work on monday and it was a hit. (everyone said only I was nuts ) but they ALL loved it.

My grill roaster should be here in a week, and then it time for bulk.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have heard of people doing this...I actually was talking to a friend a couple of years ago on experimenting with this..but we ended up being too busy to play.

bigred1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I like a med to dark roast coffee (this one was tanzanian peaberry ) I did it with applewood and it didnt bake it anymore the temp was only 200 to 250 for 1 hour. it just ads a slight smoke flavor.

MattDrew

Mar 24, 2013
McKinney, TX USA
Visit site
I've been toying with this idea, too.
I wonder though, if it's best to smoke AFTER roasting or WHILE roasting.
Seems as thought the beans wouldn't be able to fully complete the roasting process and properly (and quickly) cool if smoked after roasting . . .

I'm looking into an old-school approach using a modified meat smoker as a possibility.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
This is something new for me. Have not heard of roasting the beans first then smoking it afterwards. Can you advise what would the taste like of the coffee afterwards? Or I will have to try because this intrigued me :).

Flori
Blogger, Coffeeloversofworld.com

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Flori"

Do you roast your own coffee?

Bigred1 said that he roasted the coffee beans and then smoked them on his outdoor grill for about an hour. It's a process that a lot of us have never experienced, and he says the result is very good.

Rose