Help me refine my process

jaupro

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
OK. So I've just been getting into coffee the last couple of months. Here is what I have.

An electric kettle that warms to desired specific temps.

A bodum brazil 8 cup

And a mr. Coffee burr mill grinder (current model)

I buy my beans fresh at a local roaster (muggswigz). They said via a contest they are currently ranked in the top 14 in the country. But I digress. When I taste their brewed samples they are perfect. Mine are still good but not fantastic. I'm no expert in describing the flavors I taste yet, but the best I can say is a hard sour bitterness usually at or near the bottom of the cup. Here is my process.

I grind the beans between the course and fine setting but closer to coarse.

I grind up 45 grams and pour it into my Brazil.

I set the kettle to 200, and it usually heats to 203.

I pour just under a liter into the brazil and stir semi vigoursly for about 30 seconds.

I put plunger in and stop it just barely touching the water and wait 3 more minutes

I plunge down slowly applying slight pressure at the bottom.

I then pour the coffee into my thermos brand thermos, pour a cup and cap it off and drink the rest through out the day.

What am I doing wrong?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
NOthing... what seems to be the problem? I don't see anything you are doing that jumps out..... Maybe water is little hotter...I would drop the water temp to about 185-190 but thats about it.... but I don't think that make too much differences...

jaupro

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Really? Muggswigz recommends 50g per liter. The pot is 1 liter. And I figure minus the volume of grind 45 gram would begood. Goes not. What grinder on a budget would you recommend? And could water source also be an issue?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Yes, Really.

50 g is on the low end. Most target 60g/L for SCAA gold cup standards.

Grind should be more fine, rather than coarse.
As a general rule, you want to grind as fine as you can for your particular brewing medium (Press) and it should be easy to press and have no bitterness from the grind. Once the grind introduces bitterness, back off a notch or two, and you'll be spot on.

The Baratza Encore is the lowest priced electric grinder that I would recommend.

FYI, other than the coffee, the grinder is the single most important piece in your brewing arsenal. Whether you have a $50 press or a $15,000 espresso machine, the grinder comes first.

jaupro

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info buddy. I backed off a couple notches before but it lacked complexity. Maybe backing off with more beans will be best until I get a newer grinder. Currently my favorite beans are the panama boquette BTW. Awesome stuff!

jaupro

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
On Craig list someone is selling a bodum antigua for 75 NIB. But reviews seem to say its pretty equal to what I already have. Any opinions on this?