Would Like Coffee Book Recommendations

RQuam

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Could someone here recommend some good books about coffee that explains the many varieties and their preferred roast? I realize that any such preferences are only those of the author and may not be to my satisfaction, but it would be a place to start.

Thanks,
Richard

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "RQuam" (Richard)

Welcome to the Coffee forums website.

The book "Dark Roast" that CoffeeJunky mentioned is basically a story. It's not about coffee and roast profiles.

Here is a book that may be helpful to you. I buy most of my books from Amazon, so you'll probably easily find lots of them there.
Home Coffee Roasting, Revised, Updated Edition: Romance and Revival: Kenneth Davids: 9780312312190: Amazon.com: Books

If you explore places on-line such as the Sweet Maria's website, you can learn a lot about coffee for free.
Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's

Rose

RQuam

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, Rose, for the suggestions.

I've frequented Sweet Maria's website and have learned much from them but I also like to be able to sit and casually read an actual book sometimes. Maybe someone else will have other ideas.

Thanks again,
Richard

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Richard,

The book that I recommended explains the coffee varieties, regions, roast profiles, etc.
It's not just for people who roast coffee. I don't roast coffee, and I found the book to be very informative.

By the way, how do you prepare your coffee? Do you buy whole beans and grind them at home?

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Richard, The book Rose recommended is one of the most informative reads on the subject of coffee I've come across. It covers much more than roasting. On the other hand, learning a bit about the roasting process can benefit anyone interested in coffee, IMO.

RQuam

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
By the way, how do you prepare your coffee? Do you buy whole beans and grind them at home?
Rose, I'm a home roaster using a Poppery II popcorn popper that I modified to give full heat. I buy green beans in 20lb boxes from a local supplier. I've been using Mexico Oaxaca but just got some Mexico Chiapas to try. I grind it with a burr grinder and brew in an AeroPress or Melitta filter.

Thanks for the additional information about the book. Thanks to eldub, too.

Richard

alank

May 5, 2013
Florida
Visit site
My wife just finished reading (Kindle) Beginners' Guide To Coffee At Home: Coffee basics for coffee enthusiasts

Hope this helps:
[h=2]Book Description[/h]Publication Date: February 2, 2013
Are you a coffee lover? Most of us are. Coffee became a part of our lives many years ago, and is one of the most traded beverages in the world.

Did you ever think of making, brewing or storing your favorite coffee blend at home but just felt you do not have the right knowledge, leaving you once more sitting at the local cafe store, sipping that same average 3$ Cappuccino ?

You came to the right place! This coffee guide will show you in how to make that leap of faith from a coffee lover, towards a coffee lover who knows how to manage coffee at home, making EVERY morning a fresh start.

We'll go over the basics of coffee, how to store, what is the right equipment every coffee lover should have in order to owe their friends and family with a professional, fresh and precise result. You'll know what goes with what,different kinds of coffee beans, how to serve it, which is the right glass size, should you buy it whole or ground, I will even guide you in choosing the right espresso machine for your specific needs, coffee makers as french press and much much more!

These are the essentials, the very basics, it's like learning to ride a bike, learning to swim. Once you have the knowledge, it's in there, and from there you can only go up, experimenting, innovating being confident with this wonderful and tasty world of best coffee.

sharjeel

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i have read "]Dark Roast" for this purpose find it good,i always have thrill to find something new about coffee if some have other recomendation tell me greatfull for this,

Last edited by a moderator:

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
The first book that got me interested in coffee is 'Hiroshi's Latte Art and Barista Style Book". I have been fascinated with latte arts which got me starting with coffee. "Dark Roast" is one of the books you can try to read.

Flori,
Blogger, Coffeeloversofworld.com