Need recommendations for chocolate, really CHOCOLATE, flavored coffee.

Jaes

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
The title of the tread says it all. If you have actually tasted the coffee that you are recommending, that would be most helpful. Thanks, --Jaes.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I get chocolate notes from sidamo when I roast it slower. Seems like the blueberry comes out more when I rush the roast.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Btw, we recently went through a bag of Peruvian beans that tasted like milk chocolate and toffee when roasted light. (425*)

However, the current offering lacks those characteristics.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Jaes"

Are you looking for coffee thats chocolate flavored (that has chocolate flavoring put in it) or coffee that naturally has chocolate undertones when it's brewed?

There's a big difference.

Rose

Freshbeans

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
My favorite coffee with chocolate undertones is from Finca Vista Hermosa in Huehuetenango, Guatemala. They sell the green (unroasted) beans at burmancoffee.com, but I don't know where one would find it roasted. However, many coffees from Huehue have this flavor profile so it might be worth checking out. -- Jay

Jaes

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
First, thank you everyone for the responses. ---I am not a coffee expert-- just a guy that's been drinking coffee for 60+ years. I found a great chocolate tasting coffee several years ago (Folgers "Chocolate Truffle"---- but they are discontinuing it. (Yes I am the person who posted the tread about Chocolate Truffle (no repsonses)). ---I believe "PinkRose" has asked me the right question: "...coffee thats chocolate flavored (that has chocolate flavoring put in it) or coffee that naturally has chocolate undertones..." I am going for a flavored coffee that has an obnoxiously, blantant, chocolate flavor (no subtle, delicate, undertones). Information: I have controlled type II diabetus---and I love chocolate--but candy and/or chocolate milk is out. --The Folgers Chocolate Truffle was the answer for my chocolate cravings. --but Folgers saw fit to discontinue it. So, I need a substitue. ---Jaes.

Jaes

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
"PinkRose" ----What a super great suggestion! I would not have thought of it. Your suggestion (1) allows me to choose a chocolate syrup to fit my taste, and (2) it allows me to control the amount of chocolate taste by adding the amount of syrup that I want. Your suggestion is truely a high IQ solution to my problem. Thank you so much for helping out. ---Jaes

OldSalt

May 16, 2011
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Visit site
Jaes, Your quest is not difficult and it should not go unrequited. You don't have to become a coffee roasting aficionado, and you don't need to resort to chocolate syrup, unless you want to - I find that solution very much apropos, if you want an additive. However, I've found Trader Joe's Extra Dark Sumatra beans ($5.99/lb), when ground fine, makes an espresso with bold dark chocolate overtones - not undertones or understated in any way; it is like a Hershey's Special Dark bar was melted right in there. I used to import Lavazza Il Perfetto Espresso coffee from Italy, but since finding this offering from TJ's at literally half or less the price, I've given up on the pricey fancy stuff.

Jaes

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I would like to thank all who responded to my call for help. "Pink Rose" was espewcially helpful with her suggestion of chocolate syrup ---I am not sure that I would have thought of it. I was so consentrating on a replacement brand of coffee, that I didn't see an obvious simple solution. Regards suggesting a brand---"OldSalt" makes an intriguing recommendation. He also zeroed in on my lack of need, or ability, to become an "oficionado". So, along with trying various types of chocolate syrup, I will try OldSalt's recommendation. Thank you everyone. ---Jaes.

alank

May 5, 2013
Florida
Visit site
My wife and I really enjoy our coffee, day or night.

I suggested the Folgers Chocolate Silk. I enjoyed it, she didn't. It is bold, hearty and sensuous. If you love flavored coffee, and chocolate - which you do, this might be your coffee.