Beginner's question: Ingredients requirements for instant coffee?

Putonyourcans

May 31, 2013
Visit site
If a can of instant coffee does not state something like “100% pure coffee,” does that mean that an ingredient like chicory could be present as a filler? I am looking at a can of Hytop Deluxe Blend Coffee which does not have an ingredients list.

If an ingredient or filler like chicory were in the coffee, would that information be required to be disclosed on the container?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
yes..if it doesn't say 100% coffee it can have fillers....such as chicory or cigarette butts, mulch or whatever else they sweep off the floor.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
if you have the time to come to a coffee forum and ask about it, I am sure you have time to grind up your own beans...

Aaropressstom,

I'm surprised you wrote that. You can't be sure how much time (or desire) a person may or may not have to grind their own coffee.

Some people prefer instant coffee.

Please keep in mind that everyone is welcome here on the coffee Forums. . . . that is, until they do something that makes them not welcome.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
There is nothing wrong about liking something. We all just don't have to agree with everything. Thats why we come here and discuss our likes and dislikes. I don't drink instant coffee but you just can't beat the convinience of instant coffee.

buckhorn_cortez

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
If you need a quick cup of coffee, you might want to look into a K-cup brewer. In the time it takes you to heat the water for instant coffee, you can make a K-cup. If you buy quality K-cups, the coffee is actually quite good, and you can make it in about 1-minute.

While we roast 2 pounds per week for our general usage, there are those times where neither my wife nor I want to take time to make a pot of coffee, french press, etc. We find the K-cups perfectly adequate for a single cup of coffee. If you go here, you can order your own "Purr-fect Packs" which are boxes of 25 assorted K-cups that you select in groups of 5 to make up a custom K-cup selection.

Just a suggestion to get you a higher quality cup of coffee in the same amount of time as instant.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
sometimes I wonder if the K-cup coffee is any better then instant coffee. lol... I Just have not had any good luck with K cups yet. But then again, I only tried at my bank, law offices and my CPA firm... lol .. for free... oh yeah. I did try at the hotel in Chicago.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Just choose the reliable brand of coffee to assure it is 100% pure. An instant coffee with filler chicory is just an enhancer. It may have still 100% pureness but to the extent of smelling and tasting the best coffee. Other coffee beans also need filler. However, the pureness of coffee is still there.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
there are some who loves to drink coffee but prefers the instant one. my dad likes the instant one because he does not want to wait for the coffee brewer :). i for one loves a good cup so i brew my coffee most of the times. so it all depends on the preference.

it may be best to check the ingredients and stay with one which says 100% coffee.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com