Putting coffee in a vacuum flask after it's been brewed. How long will it stay fresh?

Douwe_Egberts_fan

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I use an old-fashioned filter-type coffee maker, and once my coffee has been brewed and I've made my first cup, I put the rest in a 1-litre vacuum flask. I then pour my second and third cups from the vacuum flask. I do this instead of leaving the coffee out on the keep-warm plate, because I believe it stays fresh much longer this way. I'm just interested to know, how long does coffee stay at its optimum freshness for after its been brewed, if it's stored in an insulated vacuum flask? I'm asking because I'd like to know if I can leave my coffee in the flask for a few hours and then have my next fresh cup later in the day. Does it stay fresh longer if it's stored without the sugar and creamer added? I put the sugar and creamer in it before pouring it in the vacuum flask, rather than putting the sugar and creamer in each cup after pouring it from the vacuum flask, as it's less effort.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I have left my coffee in vacume thermo for 24 hours and it still taste good. Not as good as the first time but I did enjoy until last drop but I have never added cream and sugar before I put them in the thermo.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Usually a vacuum flask keep the content temperature stable for eight hours, beyond that period, you can’t expect that the coffee you brewed inside is still hot. You better add sugar and cream before you pour it to the flask to have a good mixture while it is hot. Freshness is no longer expected because the taste may now differ after a few hours. You better change your old fashioned filter-type coffee maker. You can have the Zojirushi coffeemaker that keeps coffee fresh for several hours.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Does your vacuum thermos have a screw-on top, or does it have a lid with a pump? If you have to remove the top each time you pour some coffee, you won't be able to keep the coffee warm very long.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
depends on what type of flask you have. but usually good coffee can be expected only within 8 hours. more than that, may not be as great as the first.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Not great but better then what I can buy when I am away from home or my shop.
I have made mistake of not taking my thermos few time to my daughters volleyball game and I ended up suffering(?) it for the day.
I actually had cold coffee day after and it was even different experience of taste. I actually tasted very different coffee.