Is this safe?

xxhouse82xx

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am not a coffee drinker but I do have a question. Where I work they leave the coffee that was made on a Friday late afternoon in the pot over the weekend (un-plugged). Now is this really that safe to do. What I mean by that is I know standing water can create mold spores, can coffee do the same?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "xxhouse82xx"

Welcome to the coffee Forums!

It's good that you're not a coffee drinker.....then you'd probably end up being the person who has to wash out the coffee pot on Monday morning before making the coffee!

Do they leave the coffee gounds in the machine too? That would grow mold faster than the coffee would.

The coffee pot probably gets pretty stained and slimy by Monday morning. You may even see layer of sludge in the pot.

If they take the time to unplug the machine, why don't they just dump out the coffee and rinse out the pot at the end of the day??

Rose

xxhouse82xx

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the ground are still left in the coffee pot over the weekend. I do end up cleaning it because morally I don't want people to get sick.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I guess if you insist on cleaning up other people's problems.....it would be less work if you'd dump the grounds and rinse out the pot on Friday afternoon rather than wait until Monday morning.

I, on the other hand, would let it be and let whoever wants coffee on Monday morning be the one to clean the pot, and dump the grounds, and make the coffee.

I'm sure they don't want to get sick either, and if you keep on doing it for them, you'll be doing it forever.

Rose

Last edited:

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Leaving the coffee on the pot over a weekend is too unhealthy. Good if it is refrigerated because you can still drink once it is reheated. Coffee on the pot can be good up to 12 hours only. Never leave it from Friday afternoon till Monday morning. Molds grow in the coffee ground as you leave it over a week end. There is nothing wrong if you throw out the grounds and keep the pot clean. You save the pot and the coffee drinker.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I don't think I'd ever want to refrigerate coffee over the weekend, and then reheat it, and drink it. The thought of it is very unappealing!

Does anyone actually drink coffee that's been sitting in the pot up to 12 hours???

alank

May 5, 2013
Florida
Visit site
Leaving any electrical device unplugged for any length of time is unsafe. That is a potential fire. In my office, we just rotate the responsibility.

Coffee beans absolutely grow mold spores, plus I would think if not properly cleaned, it would change the taste of the coffee.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
i agree with pinkrose. if you continue to do it, then they would just rely on you because they know you would clean it. they should try to clean up their mess since they are the ones enjoying the cup of coffee.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com