Workplace in the Coffee Place

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
actually depends. if i cannot find a seat then i may feel bad about them occupying the space. but if i can seat on the shop then its fine by me.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Yes I believe it all depends. I wouldn't want to see them at my peak hours but then again, it won't bother me if they sit around for few hours a day when shop is not very busy.
I do have few people conduct their business meeting at my shop and they do buy my product and they do not bother my other customers. And most of them are very friendly. I never had any problem in the past or found any reason to be unhappy about so far.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
People who take up a table (or two) and stay all day . . . and only buy one cup of coffee, are very annoying.

Even if the cafe is slow, the fact they're hanging around listening to whatever the employees are saying, watching the deliveries come in, overhearing interactions with customers, (and sometimes making uninvited comments) and just being around so much really gets on my nerves.

Plus I don't like it when they think it's okay to plug in their laptops. Some people don't even ask! And, they constantly talk on their cell phones, and act like they're in a home office.

So, what it boils down to is that I don't like people using the cafe as their workplace.

Rose

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Thankfully I do not have to deal with most of that but I do have many people (students) come in and use their internet and sit around for hour or so don't really bother me. I just never had anyone talk on the cell phone loud and bother other customers. That would be very annoying.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
They are not supposed to do it. It may disturb others and may take advantage to the coffee shops especially if other customer can’t find seat. There is time and place for everything. That’s coffee shop and not a workplace. If someone is keep doing this, it is a shameful act.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
yes, they are not supposed to do it. but its a fact that some are doing it. at times its really annoying.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
On the other hand, we have someone who comes into the Cafe every week or so who writes for a local small newspaper. He usually works from home, but they have a new baby, and sometimes he can't think when he's home. He buys a large coffee, and he sets up his computer, and sits in the Cafe for hours at a time (usually in the middle of the afternoon when things are slow). When his cell phone rings, he goes outside to take the call, knowing that we'll keep an eye on his stuff. (plus he can see the table from the doorway).

Then when he's finished writing, he gets up and makes a point of walking over to the counter to thank me, and he leaves. I have no problem with that.

Rose

ffarl

Administrator
Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I once got rid of the wifi at a restaurant of mine because of the folks that would hang around all day, buy nothing and take up a table. This was a full service restaurant though. It's becoming the norm at coffee shops. I see folks doing a lot worse than plugging in their laptop without asking.