Baratza Encore settings?

Thecoffeenerd

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I just received the Baratza Encore yesterday, Can someone point me In the right direction for the setting they use or the starting out range? I'm looking for a good setting for the Hario V60 and a flat bottom Auto-Drip and I'm also looking for a great setting for french press. Thanks!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hopefully, someone on this Coffee Forum will have some suggestions for you, especially if they own one.

For anyone who's wondering . . . .The Baratza Encore is a coffee grinder that has 40 different settings.

http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploads/Encore-Operations-ManualENG121510lowres.pdf

If you look on page 6 you will see the setting ranges for different coffee brewing methods. It looks like you're going to need to experiment to see what's right for you.

It also says, The actual grind size for a particular setting will vary depending on many factors, including:
degree of roast (light vs. dark), freshness, humidity, type of bean, oil content, etc. With use, you will determine the setting that is right
for your taste, brewing style, and your favorite beans.

After experimenting a few times, you'll find the right grind settings for you.

Rose

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately i am not using a baratza encore, but pinkrose's advice is right. sometimes, it takes trial and error to get the correct grind settings.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

Elly

Jul 12, 2013
Ireland
Visit site
I've used a Baratza. And unfortunately there is no right answer. Just like coffee beans, the granularity of the grind is a highly personal choice. However, there are some guidelines...

When I used it with for a French Press, I used a setting of 32-35, depending on the beans. And that seemed to work best for me.

When I wanted a latte, I set the setting to around 8 for an espresso.

Hope this helps.

jamminjamy

Feb 4, 2015
Lancaster, Pa
Visit site
I just received the Baratza Encore yesterday, Can someone point me In the right direction for the setting they use or the starting out range? I'm looking for a good setting for the Hario V60 and a flat bottom Auto-Drip and I'm also looking for a great setting for french press. Thanks!

Hello All, I usually use 28 for the Baratza Encore...

jamminjamy

Feb 4, 2015
Lancaster, Pa
Visit site

Hello All, I usually use 28 for the Baratza Encore... I was hoping it would be a little more consistent but I'm definitely noticed an improvement in taste since I started using it.
I actually recorded my process here... let me know if you have any thoughts/tips/advice: http://youtu.be/2jeK1GzdX9g

warrickroy

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. Nice video jamminjamy!
I'm also a new owner of a Baratza Encore. My setting for the French press is exactly 30 to begin with, and adjust depending on the beans.

I don't have a Hario V60 but the Baratza site says start with 14 and adjust from there.

As for your flat bottom auto drip, is it an electric dripper or a manual pour over one? Do you have a link so we could see the type and filter that you use? Filter thickness plays a big part in your grind size.
For a pour over one, you might want to start at 20 and adjust from there. I saw someone use between 19-22 depending on the beans. I use #18 for a 150ml and #20 for a 300 ml on a 3 hole wedge type dripper.
If it's an electric auto-drip. I don't have a good answer for that, generally, you'd want to go finer on that as the water tends to pass through the grounds faster.

jamminjamy

Feb 4, 2015
Lancaster, Pa
Visit site
Baratza and V60

Hi everyone. Nice video jamminjamy!
I'm also a new owner of a Baratza Encore. My setting for the French press is exactly 30 to begin with, and adjust depending on the beans.

I don't have a Hario V60 but the Baratza site says start with 14 and adjust from there.

As for your flat bottom auto drip, is it an electric dripper or a manual pour over one? Do you have a link so we could see the type and filter that you use? Filter thickness plays a big part in your grind size.
For a pour over one, you might want to start at 20 and adjust from there. I saw someone use between 19-22 depending on the beans. I use #18 for a 150ml and #20 for a 300 ml on a 3 hole wedge type dripper.
If it's an electric auto-drip. I don't have a good answer for that, generally, you'd want to go finer on that as the water tends to pass through the grounds faster.

Thanks warrickroy,

To add to your notes for the V60 I have been experimenting with these settings using a melitta #4 filter (I'm not sure about it's filter thickness though). What you said about 19-22 on the baratza was actually spot on with my notes!

V60 Pour-over:
Baratza settings: 19-22
18g coffee to 320g water.... with slow pour it has taken around 2:20 min to brew... these ratios tasted the best for me.