Old Coffee Question

Elahrairah

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok, this actually sounds gross, but is a disucssion between the better half and I.

In the movie "No Country for Old Men", there is a scene where a man implies that he drinks week old coffee (meaning, it was brewed a week ago). Hopefully you know what I mean.

So the debate is this: If you wanted to be a real stingy with your coffee rations, which is worse (and I won't even go more than one day in this example), drinking a cup of coffee from a pot that was brewed yesterday, or brewing a new pot, but using the same grounds as yesterday's pot?

For example, if we were talking iced tea, if you brew 10 cups of tea, drink 5 today and save 5 for tomorrow, or only brew 5 today and brew 5 tomorrow but use the same tea bags (Not doubling the amount of water the bags or grounds see, but getting them hot twice).

Note by the question itself, we are not coffee connoisseurs, which makes the debate we are have so amusing. The thought of drinking from old grounds sounds much worse to me, but maybe I am wrong.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I can't imagine doing any of the above. If I was to drink coffee that was brewed a week ago...it better be cold brewed coffee concentrate.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It all depends if the coffee, and coffee grounds were put into a fridge before reheating. Thinking logically about it 24 hours might not be enough time frame to grow alot of bacteria but why would you even risk it? Have you ever seen old grounds or coffee that has sat for a week or more? The mold would not be to healthy. As far as leaving coffee for a week, even in a fridge you would get chemical changes so the coffee would change flavor. unappetizing no matter what you do.
Brian

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
And today I watched a person brew a fresh pot of coffee and pour that hot pot into a container that had "ICE" added to it first and then the brewed coffee into a dispenser for "Iced Coffee" at McDonalds.
WOW..................
Brian

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
That explains the watered down iced coffee that you get from McDonalds.

I guess if the coffee was brewed double strength, they could get away with it . . . . but somehow I doubt it.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
nope, not brewed double strength at this McDonalds anyways. Just regular brewed and then dumped in cause I watched it while they brewed a new batch of decaf. Was totally amazed that they dumped a bucket of ice and then HOT coffee over top. Didnt even wait for it to cool down. Just amazing.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
same as pinkrose. if i am to drink old brewed coffee, then it better be cold brew coffee.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
yes, i feel the same way as you are coffeejunky. but still, if they preferred it that way :)

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
My favorite is the boytritis brew. Just make a pot and leave the used grounds in the filter basket for a couple of weeks. Then, after mould has formed, make another batch of "fresh" coffee with the spent grounds.