What does "smooth" mean to you?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
When people describe a coffee as "smooth" what does it mean?

Is it just something that they picked up from the Folgers commercials?

What is it about a cup of coffee that would make a person describe it as "smooth?"

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
To me, that would prolly indicate the person was looking for a bean with low acidity and prolly not roasted too darkly. I'd start with a medium roast Peruvian or Colombian and go from there.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
To me, that would prolly indicate the person was looking for a bean with low acidity and prolly not roasted too darkly. I'd start with a medium roast Peruvian or Colombian and go from there.

Exactly,
Not bitter, not too much heavy flavoring, more sweet side(not sugar sweet), Aroma has to be mild to medium. Just good tasting coffee. ;)

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I agree with the above posts. I have heard the expression "clean cup". I take this as a smooth cup, medium to heavy body, low acidty, and pronounced aroma and flavor.
Extra Fancy Kona is awesome at a medium roast. Smooth! Too bad it is so expensive. I like the smoothness of the Brazil Yellow Bourbon, and Costa Rican coffees.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
take this test PR,
if you drink your coffee with condiments (cream, sugar, etc) try drinking it black. a quality cup of "Joe" should stll taste smoooooth!

Rose is expert coffee drinker and believe barista herself. I think she is asking because people are saying it.
However, I think most of the people(generally speaking) Don't really know what that means. They say it because others say it. ;)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm guessing that even if people really don't know what the term "smooth" means, when they describe their coffee as "smooth" they're basically just saying it's good (at least to them it's good).

CavalierCoffee

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
My take on smooth would be a coffee with a good mouth feel but not much happening in the high or low note range. A medium roast Colombian would be my recommendation.