Horrible Espresso. Is it me, the beans or the machine?

TonyB.

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I have had my espresso machine for about a year and I quit using it a few months ago because I got fed up with crummy results. I'm looking for some help to determine the problem. The espresso tastes acidic to me, very harsh. I've tried fresh beans from a local roaster of different roasts as well as a couple from online sources such as Coffee AM. I am using a Breville BES 860XL machine which has a pressure gage to help with the extraction. I am using the single wall cups in the portafilter. I've experimented with light and heavy tamps and have settled on a method which I think is close. I get no channeling or cracks and the puck is "dry" after extraction although the tamp doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the results.

I've noticed that the temperature seems low. Immediately after extraction, what should the temperature be?
Does anyone have this machine and are you getting good results?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Lazytrader

Oct 3, 2013
NYC
Visit site
Start here

I have had my espresso machine for about a year and I quit using it a few months ago because I got fed up with crummy results. I'm looking for some help to determine the problem. The espresso tastes acidic to me, very harsh. I've tried fresh beans from a local roaster of different roasts as well as a couple from online sources such as Coffee AM. I am using a Breville BES 860XL machine which has a pressure gage to help with the extraction. I am using the single wall cups in the portafilter. I've experimented with light and heavy tamps and have settled on a method which I think is close. I get no channeling or cracks and the puck is "dry" after extraction although the tamp doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the results.

I've noticed that the temperature seems low. Immediately after extraction, what should the temperature be?
Does anyone have this machine and are you getting good results?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Okay there is a lot here. First thing I would do is descale her. You said that she had been sitting a long time so don't fool around with her, just descale. Most of us know how to get our machines to temperature by surfing. My Rancilio has a light on it when the boiler is heating. When that light goes out, best results are when you wait 30 seconds after that. The water is constantly moving throughout the temperature field. You need to get it consistent. My machine has an option you can buy that bolts onto it that tells you the exact temp. Please nobody send me the cheap looking mods that others have done to achieve the perfect cup. I have seen several of these machines with ridiculous accessories that tell you the current temp and they look hideous. It's not necessary if you know how to temp surf for Tony's purposes.
I am not familiar with your machine but I think my neighbor has the same one. Once you get your her cleaned and the temps consistent, lets move to the beans.
Make sure you adjust your grind a little when you get it so that it is correct. A slight off set on your grind can really throw you. There is an amazing science behind exactly what is released from the shot in three stages essentially. Get your grind right. If I had to guess, I would say that your grind is off. You can even adjust the pull times but not sure if you can on your machine. You can buy a spring loaded tamper that takes all the guess work out of tamping. They are nice but not really essential.
Good luck Tony, let me know how you make out.

Attachments

• Jeffrey Bernhard Green Coffee Beans.jpg
    Jeffrey Bernhard Green Coffee Beans.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 193

TonyB.

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

First, could you please explain temp surfing? I usually turn the machine on and let it warm up for a few minutes. It has a built-in warm up cycle as soon as you turn it on. After that I will run a double shot through an empty portafilter to get things warmed up.

Lazytrader

Oct 3, 2013
NYC
Visit site
Sure, here is a whole article on it from Whole Latte Love. They have really good videos on YouTube as well.
I will return with the link for you to click on.
Most machines are single burner ones and the burner will cycle on and off. The temperatures during this on and off cycle can fluctuate several degrees. Essentially, if you are not pulling your shot at the optimal peak temp you are missing out on all the flavors. You can buy all types of gizmos for them on Ebay or Amazon. Generally its just a connection of a thermometer that constantly displays the current temp so you know when to hit the button. That's a really important step because it allows there to be consistency. It's simply another variable that you can eliminate on the quest.
Don't run a full shot through. Only enough to clear just a little bit of the leftover grinds if you didn't brush them out and try to do this until you hear the boiler kick in. You should hear a slight click. Mine does and many others as well. The unit will draw power and mine makes my lights dim for a split second. After this wait for about a minute after you hear the second click of that burner going off. Pull your shot then and don't tamp it crazy hard. Make sure your getting a good top on it. The top is essential. Try this and let me know how it goes. If it pulls slow, it's okay. You can always try adjusting your bean grind. You need to do this because you said that it had been sitting for a while. These things are fickle. They are like being in a relationship with your most difficult ex-girlfriend.
Always allow your machine at least 15 minutes to warm up regardless of what the manual says. Only in emergencies should you violate the time frame. Keep after it because a great shot is worth the trouble. Let me know how you are making out.

IDrinkPurelyCoffee

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I would take all the elements and check them off one by one to determine which is the cause:

1. water
2. coffee
3. grinder
4. espresso maker

Check the water isn't chlorinated, excessively flouride-added or that your water isn't mineralized. Some mineralized waters make TERRIBLE coffee. You've obviously checked your coffee beans. So you need to check your grinder settings. But before you eliminate them, buy espresso coffee from a recognized retailer known for its espresso standards, something that you can buy, drink & take home. That way you will have some idea of the expected standard before you make your own.

Lastly, the espresso maker: it's time, steam, water! Check the machine is cleaned. Are you in a soft/hard water area? Get a thermometer and check the temps. ... If all else fails, get someone else to try, someone who knows how to do it to try. It might be the machine! Perhaps the pressure isn't high enough.

Logically. Eliminate. All. The. Options. Then you'll be left with the answer.