I Enjoy Reheated Coffee

EntropyOrBust

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I've read over and over that reheated coffee sucks but I seem to think the flavor is quite different and actually improves on the fresh brewed pot I made yesterday. It works for tomato based sauces, why not coffee? Anyone else concur? What actually happens in the reheat process? I'm simply reheating in a microwave what's left in the pot from yesterday.

Thanks,
Ent

EntropyOrBust

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for being so vague. I realize this needs more information. I prefer Central American or South American beans when purchasing regional coffees. Commercially, I'll go for Peet's French Roast or Mocha Java or Intellegencia's Black Cat when its on sale. I burr grind and drip (about 190-200 degrees) through a non-bleached filter into a Chemex container. When I re-warm (that sounds a lot better doesn't it?) I do use a microwave making sure not to overheat the brewed coffee. That's probably the key, the bean or the brew has never been burnt, just aged a day. So I like to call this my affectionately brewed, aged, and rejuvenated cup of coffee. Give that formula a try and let me know what you think.

Ent

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
i've tried the microwave reheating method, and found that you loose a lot of the original flavor. i have never reheated coffee from the previous day. i agree with your 1st. post: :reheated coffee sucks" lol!

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Entropy . . . we're sending the coffee medics your way. They'll help you get over this ailment. Once they are done with you they're coming to my house and trying to cure my son of the same disease but he may be a hopeless cause. I trust you can be saved :coffee:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Re-heated coffee is not as bad as coffee that was sat on the warmer for 30 mins or longer.
When I brew my coffee, I normally pour it into my thermo right away.

There are times I could not finish my cup and have re=heated in microwave(normally I would drink it cold) and the tasted rather pretty decent. It was drinkable.
I can't say it is better but it was much better then I expected or thought.

EntropyOrBust

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Let me take this thread in a different direction: Properly brewed coffee that has sat at room temperature for 24 hours had a decidedly different taste when properly reheated. I happen to think the different flavor is quite nice. Chemically, what happens to coffee in that 24 hours?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I don't know what happens chemically but I wouldn't drink coffee left out for 24 hour in room temperature. I just don't think it is safe to drink during hot summer day.
I have tried and happy to drink coffee that was cooled off in few hours. I actually thought it developed very different flavor. But I think 24 hours is pushing it too far.

TheCoffeeGourmet

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I concur with the consensus on this one -- I've tried it more than once, and each time the result is the same:
Coffee cup --> sink --> coffee down the drain! To me it's just undrinkable that way.