Care to share Aeropress filter advice?

rwhinton

Sep 21, 2013
Texas Hill Country
Visit site
After too many mornings of bad motel coffee during our Thanksgiving road trip, I put an Aeropress in my letter to Santa.
I'm thinking a metal filter will be more convenient for travel than packing paper filters.
But there are so many choices for metal filters: the S filter, an Able fine disk, a regular Able disk and the Crucial Coffee filter.
And the more I read on each filter, the more my head is spinning.
Can anyone offer filter insights for someone whose at-home morning routine includes grinding fresh beans and making coffee in a press pot?
Thanks.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The paper filters don't take up much room. If you're going to bring your Aeropress when you travel, you may as well use the paper filters and not have to fuss with rinsing out a metal filter in the hotel sink.

highlycaffeinated

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Metal filters are the way to go. Save you money in the long run and is good for the planet so why not? I prefer the Crucial Coffee Aeropress filter. It's great quality and cheaper than the rest of the metal filters out there. I do think the coffee has a better, richer flavor. The paper filters made the coffee a little flat, so I'll save those for when I travel with the Aeropress (if that, even). There is very light sediment at the bottom of the cup with this metal filter, but less than the amount you'd see with a french press - it doesn't bother me. I do use an espresso grind for my coffee, so that probably contributes. This was a good priced filter and was shipped quickly - I'm a satisfied customer.

rwhinton

Sep 21, 2013
Texas Hill Country
Visit site
Thanks, PinkRose. There's something to be said about easier cleanup with paper filters, too.
I can't find much information on the Crucial Coffee filter compared to the other filters, highlycaffeinated. Do you know where's it made and what the mesh size is?
Edited to add: And clean it seems more involved, at least according to their website.
Thanks.

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
For travel, the paper would be easier, as was stated. I use the Able disk, the regular not the fine, and think the paper vs. permanent filter would be made based on taste preference rather than convenience.

Lightgeoduck

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I am waiting on my aeropress in the mail as I type this, I also ordered a filter for it. I have brewed with other methods using paper filters and screen mesh... If it one is better than the other... Well as it has already been stated, it's all about preference.. Also, as it already been stated, for travel, if you want convenience, I would go with the paper filter. Think of it this way even if you prefer the disk, paper filtered fresh coffee is still WAY better than Hotel :)..

LGD

highlycaffeinated

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Without a doubt, the reusable filter is the way to go. According to the Crucial Coffee site, it was designed and engineered in the USA! The paper filters leave a taste with the coffee, especially since the original Aeropress filters are bleached! The Crucial Coffee Aeropress filter is totally washable and super easy to maintain (dishwasher save too). It's the most inexpensive reusable aeropress filter I found on the internet.

Here's a link to Crucial Coffee's website crucialcoffeesupply (dot) com
I bought mine on Amazon though with my prime account which gave me free 2-day shipping.

Lightgeoduck

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
YAAAAH WHOOOO.... I got my aeropress in the mail... and made a few batches of coffee already... here is my experience so far ( I know it has only been a short time with the press, but I have had my share of coffee and know what I like )

first assessment... both the S filter and paper filter make fine tasting coffee... so, unless you are worried about the environment or something, it isn't necessary to get the S-filter... well except for a few points I am about to make.

If you are a hardcore press pot lover... moka pot user.. or any other method that where you feel a little sediment is part of the enjoyment... then go for the S-filter... I enjoyed the cup using the disk.

If you are wanting the oils of the coffee to add to the taste... then you still have the option to choose either or.... I worried about comments I have read about the paper filter taking away the oils of the coffee, that and I know other methods of brewing you tend to lose alot of oil... That is not the case with the AP... at least not from my tests... granted I got more oil when I pre-soaked my paper filter at the beginning (prior to even grinding my coffee.

I enjoyed the disk.. but it added one step to clean up.. where with the paper you can pop with no worries..

The paper.. left my coffee tasting fresh like always with enough oil to satisfy the SO coffee flavor (Rwanda was my choice for the time being)

As everyone has done, I searched for recipies... and this is my take on it .. that may combine one or two.. or be totally different from what I read

water temp to 205F

17g mid course and fine.. more to fine... 8 clicks counterclockwise on my Hario Slim (also new purchase that was love at first use)

Inverted method

time 1:00 from coffee's first contact with water.

I used approx 220g of water, but you may use more depending on your coffee's bloom (freshness) but mainly fill to the top

stir

install cap/filter

time up.. flip and press

The coffee was pretty strong.. drinkable for both my wife and I, but I also tried it diluted 50/50... though it was weaker... it wasn't weak by any means..

I know this is going a bit off topic, but this is the most recent aeropress thread.. and my discoveries weren't really ground breaking enough for a new thread (maybe later, when I add to the AP video pool :) )

Either way, the moral of the story is... don't let the word "paper filter " be too taboo when it comes to the AP... it overcomes it hugely over other paper filter brew methods...

Cheers

LGD

Lightgeoduck

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow, LGD. Thanks for sharing your insights on the AP and after-market filters vs. paper ones.
I'm looking to watching your video. Let me know, please.
Thanks again.

thanks, and I will, after I am done experimenting... I tried the standard way if doing a brew ( non inverted ). And I am thinking I am liking the steps better... Just need to tweak my timing and finesse before I make a video ... Still a bit awkward with it :p if you know what I mean

LGD

JoeBoxer

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Seems the answer to your question is NO. I'm looking for at the same problem. I have the Able regular filter, and may try the crucial filter to experience the difference in a few week when it gets into the mail. Right now, I use the paper filter with the Able filter, and long brew for my light roast coffee. It's hair raising.

expresso

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I've only used the S-filter. My experience is that if I make the grind slightly coarser and use a longer brew time with the inverted method I can get a full extraction without grit. YMMV