Choosing a manual grinder

m2244

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I hope this is the correct location for this question.

I have been looking into manual coffee grinders (the electric conicals are a little too expensive). I would probably only make my own coffee on the weekends but who knows, that could change. My plan at this time is to get a French press so I would need a grinder that makes more of a course coffee ground. I have looked into a Porlex JP-30 Stainless and a couple of Harios. Reading reviews can be frustrating. I will find one I like but it will get a couple of bad reviews so I second guess myself.

So, I am mainly looking for advice on which manual grinder to try. Any other advice is welcome since grinding my own coffee and using a French press is all new to me. Maybe a French press isn't the way to after all.

Thank you.

Last edited:

terracotti

Jan 3, 2014
CA
Visit site
Yes I suppose that particular model is not great. Even in reviews I did not like it myself. Trying to find a good one myself.

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Please forgive the unsolicited advice, but hand grinding can get really old really fast. The decent manual grinders aren't cheap, and if you're not in a hurry you can wait for a good deal on a Baratza Maestro, or its replacement the Encore. Watch Baratza.com for a refurb too. They're $125 new. It can easily last you 10 years. In my book $12.50 per year for a great grinder is worth not having to spend a lot of time and effort grinding manually.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Could not agree more with Peter. If the $125 is still too steep. I would consider this grinder after reading many reviews, but not personal experience.

Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder White Brand New | eBay

Reviews:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black

If you are convinced to buy manual. I have spoken to some folks who would recommend the Porlex JP-30 Stainless over the Hario Skerton.
Comparable grind, but the JP-30 feels and is more durable. Both ceramic burrs.

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd only consider two, either Hario Skeleton (Skerton) Coffee Mill. The Hario fits so you can directly grind into the Aeropress. The second is Porlex Mini Hand Mill. The Porlex handle can wear down to a point where if you grind the handle flies off. All you have to do if it wears down is hold the handle on firmer. Both are good for travel or general use, but the Porlex would be optimal for light small travel. You can ditch the glass jar on the Hario when traveling.

Last edited: