Best French Press : Espro !

polytan

Aug 24, 2013
Cambridgeshire, UK
Visit site
Hello Everybody !

I have been pretty silent for a few months, but doesn't mean I haven't had a cup of coffee or two ;)

Actually, I rarely start my day without a coffee, and I have more and more trouble drinking crap coffee (I didn't realised before that it was bad...) such as most of medium quality hotels and the worst : Starbucks ! I can tolerate Costa but only because I drive a lot and appreciate my caffeine...

Anyway, I switch from my first french press (which was not filtering, at all) to an Espro.

What a change ! :) The coffee is so much better ! No powder or coffee dust when I drink ! There is always a little bit but hardly noticeable and the taste is *way* better.
I didn't know how to clean it at first, or more precisely, how to remove the used coffee from inside and come up with a "technique" where I simply poor the remaining coffee and grounds into the main filter of the Espro (which can be dismounted easily). It can then recycle the grounds.

On top of this, I should receive a hand burr grinder so days, to stop using my electric blade grinder (electric proper burr grinder are two expensive for my "cup of the day"). I hope this will improve consistency and taste of my coffee.

Regarding coffee and infusing, I grind what I would call "small chunks" (hard to describe the size of the grind, right ?) and infuse for 4 min. I use 14 to 16g with a moody scale. I can be ok or it can be pretty strong.

Also, I had opportunity to use a small "heat under italian coffee make" (these in 3 levels where you have water in the bottom, thin grind in a container on top of the water and you receive coffee in the top and third compartment. It was pretty good and simple to use. It looked like more an espresso to me, but not quite. Still good though.

All in all, I wanted to thank you for the advice regarding the Espro. This is a really good french press and I hope it will last for quite some time. It is worth every penny it costs. Very good Canadian product (I don't know if it means much as I am French living in UK and enjoying coffee ;) )

Would you have any further advice or anything ?

Cheers,

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
For the small size Espro, you should use 17-18g coffee and about 295g of water. Grind as fine as you can while still maintaining a clean cup. With the Espro, you can also grind finer than a traditional press. Experiment.

The grounds DO NOT go inside the filter! Grounds in press, water in. Press after 3 min. You can certainly recycle, just don't re-use!
I would recommend 3 minutes brew time, but 4 is not unreasonable. Try 3, 3.5, and 4. See what is best to your taste.

polytan

Aug 24, 2013
Cambridgeshire, UK
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry, I didn't express myself correctly. I don't put the grounds in the filter while brewing. It is just when I empty the jar to clean it that I poor on the dismantled filter to avoid to put everything in the sink.