Help me master my morning brew

Homer

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the best equipment, nor the priciest beans, however on most days I end up with an exceptional (to me) result, good crema, great taste balance, terrific smell.
I can't replicate this result all the time though, no matter how repetitive my preparation is.

I realize this question covers a wide array of variables, what do you do to make sure your cup is at its' best?

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
I can't replicate this result all the time though, no matter how repetitive my preparation is.

I'd also like to know what your current equipment and process is but I'm betting your grinder is a weak link. I recently started getting pretty consistent results and I credit that with upgrading my grinder. I had a cheap burr grinder and to look at the grounds from it compared to my new grinder is like night and day.

Now, when I change some factor in my process, I can more easily predict and understand the impact it has.

With the old grinder, my morning coffee was a surprise and not always a good surprise.

Last edited:

Homer

May 31, 2012
Visit site
What equipment do you use? What's your routine? What's the coffee: water ratio, and the water temp?

Either a basic espresso machine or moka pot, depending on the mood. Water level and temperature are always the same, I assume, since I can't regulate it.

I'd also like to know what your current equipment and process is but I'm betting your grinder is a weak link. I recently started getting pretty consistent results and I credit that with upgrading my grinder. I had a cheap burr grinder and to look at the grounds from it compared to my new grinder is like night and day.

With the old grinder, my morning coffee was a surprise and not always a good surprise.

Yes, the grinder indeed is the weak link, due for a change this year, just trying to maximize enjoyment with current setup until then!

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Well, one of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to keeping hanging around here. Ask questions. Look through old threads. Read topics that may not even seem to be of interest to you. Google coffee topics. Just keep learning.

When I started getting serious about improving my coffee, I thought there had to be something wrong with my local roasters as their coffee stunk. So, I tried grocery store coffee and realized it stunk worse. So much research I did suggested I really needed a better grinder. OK, I finally did it. Big improvement. But I said "no way I'm bothering with filtering water, or a scale".

Well, I finally decided to try a simple Brita water pitcher/filter because I could smell the chlorine in my coffee water. Not only did the coffee taste better but I found I actually like plain water better and that saves money because I pretty much quit buying bottled water and soft drinks.

Now the scale. OK, I buckled, got a scale to measure my beans. That helps a bit but I said "no way I'm weighing my water". Well, I did. That made another tremendous difference because I was using too much water and not getting the full flavor.

As a side benefit to the new grinder, filter and scale, I find I need less beans per cup now. That saves a little money. It'll take a long time to pay for the new equipment in the little I'm saving on beans but it does help and the coffee is much better and much more consistent.

I'm using a Chemex so YMMV and my changes might not mean as much to your process but learning will always pay dividends.

Edit to add: I just noticed today is my one month anniversary on this forum. I've learned a ton in a month and my coffee is so much better. Happy Anniversary to me.

Last edited:

Homer

May 31, 2012
Visit site
janry; said:
Well, I finally decided to try a simple Brita water pitcher/filter because I could smell the chlorine in my coffee water. Not only did the coffee taste better but I found I actually like plain water better...

Same here, Brita filter that is changed regularly. Makes a big difference in flavor.

Now the scale. OK, I buckled, got a scale to measure my beans. That helps a bit but I said "no way I'm weighing my water". Well, I did. That made another tremendous difference because I was using too much water and not getting the full flavor.

I use a scale as well, 18 grams for the espresso machine and 22 grams for the moka pot.

I don't know what correct water level to use, I just fill up the containers to their fill-lines. Any tips on that?

Thanks for the information.

Homer

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I used a moka pot for awhile and my biggest issue was turning up the heat to much due to impatience. Also, I'm sure my old grinder gave me inconsistent grind sizes.

I was the same way, used to leave it on MAX. Then I put it on Medium one day and the result was much better!

Sure, it takes at least twice the time, so what? I'd rather enjoy it than curse at it!!

Homer

May 31, 2012
Visit site
But you're saying that even at that, you still can't get repeatable good results?

It is getting better, six out of ten times are what I consider as best as it gets for my setup.

Just trying to see what others do for their brew, see what I may be doing wrong or omitting or need to modify...

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I shouldn't be posting in this thread since I don't use a moka pot. It is surprising though, that it seems you have a consistent routine and yet have inconsistent results. My best suggestion would be to dump the moka pot and move to a french press or ...

Homer

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I shouldn't be posting in this thread since I don't use a moka pot. It is surprising though, that it seems you have a consistent routine and yet have inconsistent results. My best suggestion would be to dump the moka pot and move to a french press or ...

I like the moka pot!

It's not the pot, it's me...

Homer

May 31, 2012
Visit site
When I bought my moka pot, I found a long review on Amazon with tips in using. Definitely something you should read.

Also read the comments that follow his review.

Thanks you for the link Janry, very good points.
I never have had success in removing the pot from the heat source as soon as coffee starts coming out the top, for some reason, it just cools down right away and no more of the brew is produced.
I will go lower than medium next time.

Latest posts