Coffee made in a kettle

KahwaArabica

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I couldn't find any info on this topic on the web, so thought I'd bring it here.

Last night I had made some tea in an electric tea kettle I have been recently using. Having made stove top coffee, I thought, "Why couldn't I make coffee with this thing?" since it works the same way. I poured water in the kettle, let it get to boiling point, and dumped some ground coffee in it. When I poured it it came out more thick than with my k-cup coffee maker. It was also a chocolate brown color like chocolate milk. I've made coffee stove top basically the same way: boil water in a pot, dump grounds in, but this kettle way tastes and looks different and I think I like it better.

So has anyone else made it this way? Is it more benifical than other ways to brew a cup?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "KahwaArabica"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

I've never heard of anyone making coffee in an electric tea kettle. I'm glad it worked out okay for you.

Were you able to get the kettle clean after using it for coffee? I'm wondering if it the next time you use it to make tea, if the tea will taste like coffee.

Rose

KahwaArabica

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

I washed it out with soap and warm water. Next cup of tea didn't tast like coffee so I'm pretty happy with the results.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I think many are using electric tea kettle nowadays for coffee in fact you can dial the right temperature you choose. It can shut off automatically if you wish to control the desired water temperature.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I think many are using electric tea kettle nowadays for coffee in fact you can dial the right temperature you choose. It can shut off automatically if you wish to control the desired water temperature.

Many are using an electric tea kettle to heat water for use in coffee brewing, but the OP is actually making the coffee in the kettle... which is very unusual.

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Sounds like cowboy coffee to me. Can be made in a regular pan, campfire kettle, stovetop kettle, electric kettle, or just a tin can over a campfire. After bringing the water to a boil, put in grounds, let simmer awhile and then let the grounds settle before pouring slowly. I think it would be best to pour through a tea strainer or paper filter but cowboys just picked the grounds out from between their teeth.

KahwaArabica

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
How did you filter the coffee grounds out before drinking it?

The kettle has a filter built in. Although, some grounds still get in my cup which I don't mind too much as long as the coffee tastes good. Yeah I've heard stove top coffee called Cowboy coffee. That's why I thought this way would work since its so similar. Maybe the coffee is getting burnt though because I notice my light roast coffee ends up tasting like a dark roast when I do it this way.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I feel the same way about this.
As long as water is not still boiling, this would make pretty decent coffee.
I would also make sure not to leave coffee too long for over extracting.
I am glad you found your coffee to be much better then K-cup. ;)