Lord Awll Mighty!

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Lordy Awl Mighty and Cheese N Rice!

I thought I was gonna die today, by Jesus!

I had bought a bag of French Roast from Sam's Club just to see. An it was alright, bag went empty so I bought a second bag.

Sweet Lord I swear I thought I was having an asthma attack and I don't have asthma! My lungs are still burning plus my eyes are burning. It felt as if my lungs were gonna seize right up.

Simply breathing that devil bean hurt me. It was as if they took lunch at the factory and left it ablaze. The stench of burnt was hideous.

Has anyone ever in their life experienced French Roast beans like that?

I'm so serious here, I'm not lie'n nor exaggerating!

~Michael :-D

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Michael,

I hope you're feeling better now.

When I read your message, I pictured you putting your nose into the bag of coffee beans and taking a huge whiff. Did bean particles fly up your nose?

You said your first bag of beans was "alright" and the second was burnt and terrible. Will you be taking them back to Sam's for a refund?

I don't think you're exaggerating. A few years ago, someone gave me a bag of French Roasted beans, and they were like charcoal. When I opened the bag, the whole room smelled like I had a flare up in a wood stove. The beans were so over-roasted that they were crumbly to the touch. My house smelled like burnt beans, and my hands smelled like burnt beans, and I quickly decided to throw the whole bag in the trash outside. I never made coffee with those beans.

I'm guessing that you're probably considering going someplace else to buy your coffee.

Rose

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Hi Michael,

I hope you're feeling better now.

When I read your message, I pictured you putting your nose into the bag of coffee beans and taking a huge whiff. Did bean particles fly up your nose?

You said your first bag of beans was "alright" and the second was burnt and terrible. Will you be taking them back to Sam's for a refund?

I don't think you're exaggerating. A few years ago, someone gave me a bag of French Roasted beans, and they were like charcoal. When I opened the bag, the whole room smelled like I had a flare up in a wood stove. The beans were so over-roasted that they were crumbly to the touch. My house smelled like burnt beans, and my hands smelled like burnt beans, and I quickly decided to throw the whole bag in the trash outside. I never made coffee with those beans.

I'm guessing that you're probably considering going someplace else to buy your coffee.

Rose

Lungs are still 'tight' but better, the beans are still good enough to grind, even made a cup, real harsh, but for some reason the smell jolted me. Took me by surprise, how I reacted! I threw them out, not worth the effort to return them, I'll never buy there again. I went to a store today and bought a bag of Larry's Beans, French Roast, they were ridiculous! Lemony taste! and lite coffee flavor. Threw them out too! I switched back to Bustello until I can find some decent beans. Next Friday I visit a local roaster in Charlotte to sample some of their brew.

PS, didn't stick nose in bag, I had some grinds in the trash 15 feet away and through the night I felt my lungs tightening up, finally figured it out and dumped the trash.
~Michael

Last edited:

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Let us know how you come out with the local roaster. Somehow I think you'll find them much better. With the Sam's Club you get what you pay for. And that coffee could have been two years old by the time it got to your cup.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Let us know how you come out with the local roaster. Somehow I think you'll find them much better. With the Sam's Club you get what you pay for. And that coffee could have been two years old by the time it got to your cup.

Certainly will let you know. I started with Bustello and it's OK, but I know that a good local roaster will get me a coffee with what I prefer, which is a taste like Bustello but (not knowing the appropriate terminology) a richer, fuller flavor with depth. To me Bustello is slightly harsh but the flavor comes through in my mocha latte.