Beware Amazon is selling stale coffee beans

mdavis121212

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I recently ordered coffee beans from Amazon. I was frustrated to see that the roasted coffee beans that arrived were 3 months old and useless for making espresso. Lesson learned, from now on I'm going directly to the roasters web site to order.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Lesson Learned!

Too bad you didn't discover the Coffee Forums before you made that mistake. We would have told you it was a bad idea to order the coffee from Amazon.

By the way, welcome to the Coffee Forums!

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Welcome aboard!!!!!
When you have chance to check out our past posts, you will find many threads about stale coffee.
many of the members from this board are home roasters or commercial roasters and if they don't roast their beans at home, they buy coffee from local roasters or roasters of their choice.
I would suggest for you to find local roaster who cares about freshness of their beans.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
There are some on Amazon that ship fresh, but you have to check the wording/descriptions carefully, on some the orders they go direct to the roaster to fulfill. If it's just Amazon, then it's been sitting in one of their warehouses for god knows how long lol. Not worth the hassle of getting screwed though, too many roasters online you can just go to directly and order from and not deal with a 3rd party.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
buying from Amazon is "hit & miss". I also experienced few times. If you want consistently good coffee, better to buy from reputable roasters in your area. However, only draw back is that pricing gets much higher for same coffee when you buy from roasters, specially it gets really high when you buy from famous roasters, like Colombe, Intelligentsia and Lamill..etc It is better to find local roasters where you can actually go and visit and buy.