Perfect bean to water ratio?

AgainstTheNinja

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, first time poster and very-recent coffee enthusiast.

I began messing with a French press three months ago, chasing after the elusive perfect cup of coffee (although I'm sure that depends on individual).

Two steps that consistently trip me up are the coffee bean to water ratio, and also a possible issue I'm having with boiling my water:

Problem 1) I'm never quite sure how many tablespoons of Coffee should be brewed with 16 oz of water. I do 4 Tbsp right now, but am not sure if I'm using too much. Also, does 4 tbsp beans equal 4 tbsp ground or does it vary due to volume? I'd love some insight into that because I'm getting some really gourmet coffee on Monday and I don't want to grind more than I need.

Problem 2) I have always tried to boil my water to between 195-205 F. However I've also heard that you should pour your coffee over the grounds (referring specifically to French Press) right before the water reaches a boil. My problem is this: my water seems to be boiling around 150 F. If I wait until 195 F it's boiling quite a bit and I either pour it right over, possibly scorching the grounds, or I wait 60 seconds off the boil and worry it's not the right temp. I'm using a metal teapot and a thermometer (non-electric). Now, I've heard that boiling at 150 is not possible so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my thermometer. Mainly, I'm just wondering if I'm boiling my water correctly. Possibly there's a better method? Could the metal teapot be altering temp on the thermometer? Again, it could just be off.

I hope all of this makes sense. I'm getting a hand grinder and fancy coffee beans spread out over the next three weeks and I'm trying to reduce my risk of wasting beans by screwing up the ratio, or boiling of water.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
You might consider an inexpensive pocket scale, they can be found on ebay for under $10 shipped. Measuring beans by volume or scoops is not reliable enough, as some beans are large and less dense and a scoop can weigh 15-20% less than a bean that's small and dense. You can weigh the coffee before grinding; other than grinder retention, it's the same before grinding or after.

You can calibrate most thermometers by holding the nut that's right under the dial with a pliers or something, and then turning the dial. Look that up online, using a glass of ice water. Or calibrate it with water that's at a rolling boil in a saucepan or something where you can see the water rolling.

Lastly, as in most things 'coffee' there are guidelines, not so much rules. Use your taste as the measuring stick, and once you find a ratio that's good for you, stick with it - it doesn't matter what the world does if you're happy.

I use an electric kettle that has an auto-off feature; once it comes to a rolling boil it shuts itself off as a safety feature. That's when I pour. For one big mug, I use a press pot and 25grams of beans to 14oz. of water.