What Coffee grinder should I buy?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
That's like saying I need a car, which one should I buy. You need to give more specifics on how that grinder will be used, as well as what your budget will allow.

If all I do is drive 3 miles per week to the grocery store, one type of car will suffice. If I have to cover a four state area because I'm a sales rep, another type of car will be better.

Last edited:

stumpy041486

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I guess that was a pretty vague question. I plan on using it for French press, drip coffee, and single serve coffee. As for as my budget, I really don't have one. I'm not sure what the prices are, but I guess no more than a couple hundred dollars.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Sorry, I guess that was a pretty vague question. I plan on using it for French press, drip coffee, and single serve coffee. As for as my budget, I really don't have one. I'm not sure what the prices are, but I guess no more than a couple hundred dollars.

Ditto on the Encore. You can spend more, but for your intended purposes, you won't get more.

A good, non-espresso burr grinder will set you back $125. In that price range there are a handful of grinders that appear to have very similar burr sets, motors, and chassiseses (what's the plural of chassis anyhow?) with the big difference being the case design. But even if everything on the inside was the same, Baratza is still the clear choice just because it's so much fun to say Baratza with a thick Italian accent. The fact that they have unsurpassed customer service doesn't hurt either.

I bought a 2 year-old Virtuoso off of craigslist. A couple days after getting it home it would jam on very light/hard beans. When I called them for advice, they diagnosed it over the phone based on what color capacitors were on the circuit board, and sent me new parts at no charge - not even for shipping - even though they knew I bought it second hand.

That is all you need to know... comparable performance to other like-priced grinders, unbeatable company standing behind their products.

bigMoose

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
A good start is a refurbed or new Baratza Encore. Only move up if you feel you will need it. You will find it very easy to resell your Encore if it is in good visual shape.