Stainless steel coffee mugs, 201 or 304?

blakeV

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on SS201 or SS304 for coffee mugs, especially vacuum insulated ones.

201 is stronger so I was wondering if it would hold the vacuum better as i've had mugs that eventually lose vacuum.

304 has better corrosion resistance.

Does one affect taste less than the other? I assume this is why people would lean towards 304.

Has anyone had a 201 Stainless steel mug and noticed negative effects? taste/corrosion?

looking forward to what people think!

Blake

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
I bought some vacuum insulated stainless mugs a while ago. Unfortunately the type of stainless was not labeled anywhere on the packaging or the mugs themselves, but they where magnetic leading me to believe that they were 201 since that is a popular magnetic food grade stainless. They were very cool looking, and kept the coffee nice and hot, but they gave the coffee a metallic zing. I tried to make myself believe it was just in my head, but others commented about the flavor as well. I gave the stainless mugs away. 304 is easier to work than 201, but 201 is cheaper(less nickle).

blakeV

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought some vacuum insulated stainless mugs a while ago. Unfortunately the type of stainless was not labeled anywhere on the packaging or the mugs themselves, but they where magnetic leading me to believe that they were 201 since that is a popular magnetic food grade stainless. They were very cool looking, and kept the coffee nice and hot, but they gave the coffee a metallic zing. I tried to make myself believe it was just in my head, but others commented about the flavor as well. I gave the stainless mugs away. 304 is easier to work than 201, but 201 is cheaper(less nickle).

I wish i had two side by side to see if there really is a difference. I definitely notice if my stainless steel mug goes through the dishwasher or gets washed with soap my coffee tastes funny for a couple days after. I will have to pay attention next time i get a new mug to see if there is a funny taste even for 304 SS. The one i have now does not appear to be magnetic so maybe it is 304. I don't remember any bad tastes when it was new.

Ebert989

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I've tried vacuum insulated stainless mugs too infact I bought one just a week ago. It's working great but yeah they are a bit expensive.

Latest posts