What does everyone store their coffee in?

stumpy041486

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
What does everyone store their coffee in after they grind it? I know ideally you should only grind what you want to use, but that's not very practical for using at work. I was. Thinking about grinding around a weeks worth of coffee to take to work. Will any kind of air tight container work?

thanks!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
What does everyone store their coffee in after they grind it? I know ideally you should only grind what you want to use, but that's not very practical for using at work. I was. Thinking about grinding around a weeks worth of coffee to take to work. Will any kind of air tight container work?

thanks!

Do you plan on grinding enough coffee for everyone at work or just for you?

Decide how much coffee you'll use each day, and put each daily portion into separate air tight containers (zip lock bags, jars, etc). Use it as you need it. That way you won't be constantly opening a container full of coffee and exposing all of it to air, moisture, and light.

monstro18

Jul 4, 2014
Iowa
Visit site
I use one large air tight container to store most of my coffee in and in a smaller container I put just a weeks worth of coffee that I will get my coffee from for that week. Then I will refill the smaller container from the coffee stored in the larger container that way only a small amount of coffee is exposed to oxygen every day and the bulk of my coffee is opened only once a week.
Google search theartofcoffeedojo for some good coffee tutorials including one on storing coffee as described above.

justplaincoffee

Jul 8, 2014
Everson, WA
Visit site
I keep my ground coffee and whole bean as well in a flip lock air lock container. I only keep as much ground as we need for the next day or so depending on my schedule. They are stackable and come in either round or square shape. I've had very good results with these. :coffee1:

Concept

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Even if you store it in an airtight container, the air in there will react with the grounds somewhat. You can get containers to store your grounds or beans in that enable you to create a vacuum - so not nasty oxygen to react with. Keep it somewhere reasonably cool and away from light and you should be fine.

One thing to also keep in mind is coffee can act like a sponge when it comes to smells etc. So its a good idea not to keep it with other food that wouldn't go well with coffee. As much as I like onions & garlic in my spaghetti, Im not a fan of having it's "essence" in my coffee. :lol: