Good Coffee Books

Hi all,

I am sure that this has already been covered somewhere on these forums but when I used the search function then it didn't pull anything up...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can recommend me some good books on coffee? I want all processes, from the farming and growing, to the roasting, to the actual making of the coffee. I am currently studying hands on at the farms/roasters etc but I am after some reading material to back my knowledge up too.

Better if it's some well known books as English books can be a little tricky to get hold of here in Thailand but I can always order it in I guess.

Thanks in advance!

Gareth

Banned
    hello gareth,
    probably it would be the best to google / youtube to learn as much as possible.
    it will be easier than a book.
    sweet maria has one of the best and you can check SCAA page also.
    thanks
    alex

Super Moderator
    We've had many discussions and recommendations for books. You can do a search on this Forum also.

Here is one thread, and if you read the original post, you'll get some ideas about books.
    Review of coffee schools and books

As Alex said, there is a lot of good information on the Internet. Have you done any exploring? The Sweet Maria's website will keep you busy reading for days!

Rose

I enjoyed the Blue Bottle "Craft of Coffee". Inspiring, if you are bent that direction.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I have of course been reading up on here and on other websites to learn more but was looking for a little bedtime reading also. Don't want to be glued to my laptop all of the time...

Thank-you, I will check them out

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TukgaeExports View Post
    Was looking for a little bedtime reading also. Don't want to be glued to my laptop all of the time...
    I know what you mean. I would much rather read a book instead of a computer screen.

Where are you in the process? Are you a beginner who wants to understand the origin of coffee, or have you progressed further?

Blue Bottle "Craft of Coffee" is a good choice for a start. It has plenty of interesting things to keep you busy reading for a while. It also has recipes at the back of the book, which you can either look through or skip over.

If you're looking for some history of the progression of coffee: "Uncommon Grounds - The History of Coffee and How it Transformed the World" by Mark Pendergrast is a good choice. I enjoyed reading that one too.

I recently bought "Bean Business Basics" - 3rd Edition (I bought it "used" on Amazon, and it looks like it's brand new). I haven't had time to read it, but it looks like there is some very interesting stuff in the book.

Rose

Yes, also when travelling then it is great to sit back with a book to relax with too.

I am not sure where I would place myself now. I was a beginner not too long ago for sure but now I have been doing a lot of studying and hands - on work both at the farm and at the roasters themselves. I still have a lot more to learn though! I understand about the whole process of coffee now (I still want to read up on this a little) but I need to study more into the cultural aspects as well as the business side too.

OK, thank - you. I will see if I can get hold of those and they should keep me busy for a while!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links