Rationale on High Chairs

butterbescotch

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I observed several coffee chairs. Some designs are to complement the overall coffee shop feels. Some are for comfortable sake, say, a couch, sofa. I just don't understand what's up with the high chairs. They are uncomfortable to sit with, at least for a longer period of time.

I have found them in two set up, on the (1) side or (2) in a table setting. Either way, the only reason I could come up with such design is that customers will not stay longer. Please do enlighten me.

P.S. I don't have a photo for the table setting

k04v14.jpg

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I had a small shop 20 years ago..we had a long bar with "high" bar stools...reason we did it was due to space. We couldn't fit any other type of seating.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The seats in the photos look like they're there just for people to sit while adding milk and sugar to a quick cup of coffee before they dash out the door.

It would be nice to be able to see what the rest of the floor plan and seating looks like.

I can see how using high bar stools with a high counter would make it easier for people to sit, or stand at the counter if they preferred.

Bar stools are obviously more comfortable if they have backs and cushions, but that doesn't always happen. Plenty of traditional wood chairs don't have cushions, which makes it easy to keep them clean.

I don't sit in the stuffed chairs or couches when I visit cafes that offer them in addition to their regular seating. The upholstered couches and chairs are very difficult to clean and sanitize, and there is a "yuck" factor as far as I'm concerned.

Rose

Last edited:

butterbescotch

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the responses.

Come to think of it, I have been sitting for three hours and usually, the people sit here (high chairs in a table) are one for take outs. Waiting for there order. Although the place is pretty spacious. I didn't bring my camera, so I couldn't take a photo. Sorry about that. But yea, I definitely agree with the "yuck" factor. :)

The only weird thing about this shop I am currently in is that they have two tables with these high tables. Usually, I only see them in the side, for about 5 to 6 seats. This particular shop has around 10 high chairs for each table so that makes twenty.

Latest posts