Why is "Double Espresso" easier than 'Single Espresso"?

butterbescotch

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have been reading a lot of beginner's guide to espresso, coffees and the like. So far what I have understand is that Single or Double Espresso takes the same amount of time to "pull" in the same machine. The difference is on "filter baskets". On Single, there is a smaller filter area, so basically you have lesser espresso.

What I don't understand is this phrase
"Good singles require perfect technique and very long practice; producing good doubles is easier"

How is this possible given the only difference is the filter baskets? Is it also safe to say that "Single" espresso tastes better than "Double" Espresso. (I have actually tried the two, but since I am only a newbie on this whole espresso thing, I can't basically taste the difference.)

(Again, sorry if the question seems so stupid)

Thank you for the insights!

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
No they are the same. If you can pull a good double you can pull a single. BUT no ones pulls singles most shops always pull a double or triple.

That at statement is someone trying to sound important.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The reasoning is usually placed on the basket size and shape. There are quite a few machines where its really critical that you don't over pack single basket because there isn't always enough space between the shower screen and the grounds. This ends up causing you to get some really long pulls. Also makes a decent mess up in the head. Its one of the many reasons why people choose to pull doubles instead of singles.