Trader Joe's Coffees

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I've seen several posts about Trader Joe's coffee but not any pointed questions.

I can't recall trying them and do recall my friends saying that they have pretty good coffee. I went in to one the other day and was impressed with their selection of origins. With how much they pride themselves on their products, I was surprised that I didn't see a "roasted on date" on the coffee package. I know that they mask the producer of most of their products but figured I would ask, does anyone know who roasts their coffee?

Also, how do people feel about the quality of their roasts? I understand that people might not like some and was wondering if there are any varieties that roasters would find as acceptable. Thanks.

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
If you really want fresh roasted coffee I don't think you want to buy from them or any of these speciality grocery stores. Even places like Sprouts, World Market & whole foods generally don't have the freshest or properly stored coffee's. But the choice is always yours:)

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Since long time ago, I used to buy coffee from Trader Joe's, believing that their coffee is fresh and good.
But now?!!!!
I only go there to buy some bananas and few other specialty food items, Never Coffee.
I have Sprout nearby my house and I know a floor manager who tells me when the freshly roasted coffee comes in. Then, I go there buy once in a while. Normally I bring green beans from Guatemala and roast them by myself.

to answer your question about "how do "I" feel about the quality of their roast", THEY ARE OLD AND NOT FLAVORFUL. I am sure that they know how to roast, but after they package them, they sit on the shelf for so long that even the KONA COFFEE they sells for $19 for 12oz tastes worse than Cheap coffee (70 points, Semi hard bean) that is freshly roasted and brewed.

if you can not find coffee roasters in your area, better to buy from any of our forum roasters. Usually they roast them very fresh and the quality and price ratio are way better than many other supposedly "high-end" companies (La Colombe, Inteligensia, LaMill...etc).
I personally tried many of forum roaster's coffees and they are ALL GOOD. I have not had bad one yet.

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
Ok, so, let's be clear. I roast my own coffee, I hope to never have to purchase their coffee. I was just wondering what people thought about their coffee. I got 1 helpful response. Thanks.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
cestrin,

If you roast your own coffee, then you probably already knew the answer to the question.
Even most coffee shops who roast their own coffee are selling you past due stock.
Less than the majority are selling you something fresh, and even with places who claim to be "Specialty" coffee shops, only the tiniest fraction are selling you properly roasted AND fresh coffee.

The idea that any large market carries anything of value is absurd.... with the surprising exception of Target, who actually carries Cup of Excellence coffees under their Archer Farms labels from time to time. If you get it when their shelves are freshly stocked, it can be a respectable offering.

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
the surprising exception of Target, who actually carries Cup of Excellence coffees under their Archer Farms labels from time to time.

Hey John, Target carries CoE coffee under their Archer Farm brand? are you 100% sure about that? can you kindly tell me which CoE have you seen under Archer brand?
It is just awfully hard to believe and not worth doing it because just storage after roasting time, distribution time and sales period will be closed to 3 week to 4 weeks. Then, the coffee will be past the "fresh" roasted period already.
what do you think, John?
thanks John Piquet.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Traders Joes use to be roasted by Araban Hingham MA just south of Boston. They use to be in Boston until the Big Dig bought them out. They went under 3 years ago. They lost the TJ account and that started the downward spiral. I heard TJ's picked up a large roasting from the Midwest with Canadian ties. Was told the name but never kept it in memory

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Target Quietly Stocks Some Seriously Good Coffee On the Cheap

Archer farms Bullseye

Don't confuse "respectable" with "as good as a small, artisan roaster." You can't compare the two. But in the world of atrocious supermarket coffee, Target puts their best foot forward, which is much more than I can say for a lot of smaller, independent roasters. Freshness? Better than some, and clearly not as good as others.

hello John, thanks for the reply. however, when I checked the two links you sent me, it again gave me a lot of questions.

1. first link has a picture of the CoE coffee from Bolivia. But Bolivia is not a part of CoE since 2009.
and this article was written on March 3, 2011.
they were a member from 2004 to 2009 only. No more.
Countries - ACE

2. Kevin Purdy who wrote the article say that there are 9 CoE countries. this article was wrote in March 2011. In 2011, there were 9 CoE (BUT NO BOLIVIA) and 2012, Burundi joined CoE, so now 10 countries. Just for your reference.

3. when I checked the comments from people, one of the people said that he would not pay $15 for this Bolivia CoE coffee.
the main problem is that he bought the coffee in march 2011. but the last Bolivia CoE was held on 2009. And cafe flor de Mayo got #18 at $6.20 and #27 at $4.51. and none of them were bought by target. one by Japanese company and other by Coffee bean international company in Portland, OR ($6.20 lot).
Bolivia 2009 - ACE

I truly do not think that Target bought off the Japanese company and if Target had bought some q'ty from Coffee bean int'l company (which I highly doubt it), they can not sell it at $15 retail pricing. that retail pricing is way too low. it just does not calculate.

and two years difference between the last CoE Bolivia and Target roasting and sales?

4. This is a big one. One person bought the last "supposedly CoE winner Bolivia" coffee on March 3. he was looking for the roasted date. he could not find it, but the bag said that BEST IF USED BY July 15, 2011. Target claims that their coffee is good until 6 to 7 month after they roast the coffee?
roasted coffee in a sealed bag + aluminum can which is again sealed?

also, if you read Archer farms bullseye article, "Penny" talks about everything else except Coffee. Yes, she talks about coffee, but to me, not really. perhaps that is due to what questions that she was asked......

John, I believe that you are THE MOST STRICT PERSON when it comes to the quality / freshness / standards of being called "respectable" coffee.
sorry to say this, but just by reading the articles, I can not really say Target Archer coffee is respectable at all due to all of above points that I have mentioned.
I believe that Sprout & Whole food has way more fresh and better coffee than Target. At least, they put the ROASTED DATE. Not best used by date.
and giving 5 to 7 month for BEST IF USED BY (for Roasted beans?) in a sealed bag + sealed aluminum can is totally & absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
By the way, John, in last five month that I have been in this forum as a member and participant, I have read most of your postings. it seems like you have the highest standard for the coffee, no negotiation nor compromises.

So, if you had actually tried and cupped the Target CoE coffee and you believe that is "respectable range" in your standard, I will absolutely take your word for it because I believe that you are way ahead of me in every aspects of judging / roasting / cupping good coffees.

thanks John and have a great day.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
ensoluna,

Thanks for taking the time to navigate through that mess. Personally, I don't care what they are or aren't doing. And again, the "respectable" has to be in context. Actually knowing whether Whole Foods is better than Target is a piece of information that I would only have passing interest at knowing.

I suppose I am not surprised by lack of facts or journalistic integrity when it comes to someone's own PR. The whole Target/CoE was a topic of discussion on various coffee boards a few years ago. Maybe it was something started by company shills. Who knows.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
thanks for your reply. Yes, I believe that was some sort of silly marketing scheme from Target, combined with total lack of facts or integrity because whoever wrote the story does not even know about coffee like you or even me.
Knowing you, John, I thank you for your classy response to my posting.
thanks again and have a great day.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've found a couple of local places that roast and ship beans as ordered so I get them the day after they are roasted, you can't get much fresher than that. I could pick them up but don't much care for driving into Tampa so shipping works for me.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
some great people in Tampa. If you get a chance pop into buddy brew....they do a great job! Where are you located flphotog? There is also a new member to the forum that is located in Clearwater. I used to roast for Bern's in Tampa...I miss Tampa :(

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
some great people in Tampa. If you get a chance pop into buddy brew....they do a great job! Where are you located flphotog? There is also a new member to the forum that is located in Clearwater. I used to roast for Bern's in Tampa...I miss Tampa :(

I have a Clearwater mailing address but actually in Pinellas county. I was at Bern's many years ago while I still lived in Orlando but never went back. I'm probably one of the few people who didn't care for their steaks.
You want a good steak, try The Red Fox in Middleburg VA, they have a Filet Mignon you can cut with a fork.;)

Last edited: