Coffee Roaster Advice

bmcglynn

Sep 11, 2013
Warrenville, IL
Visit site
I finally have an opportunity to roast in a shared kitchen space. I will be able to use the commercial fan to send up the exhaust, but the question I have, before I purchase a "new" roaster, is the external chaff collector. The space I will be renting from doesn't have that much room. So, I need a roaster sized between 3.5kg to 6kg without an exterior silo. The new roasters this size all have this attachment, right? Let me know what roasters fit this scenario; if any.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Most 3kg and smaller do not have the external collectors but it does depend on who is building it I assume you are talking an electric roaster to use the overhead fan. Gas connections need to be vented from the machine to the out side. Overhead vents / fans are not for the exhaust venting of the roaster. If you have an electric version you can use those fans.

bmcglynn

Sep 11, 2013
Warrenville, IL
Visit site
It will be gas. The proper venting is already in place. I'm assuming 5kg only have external chaff collector these days? I've found the new 3kg don't have attached chaff collectors.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Usually 5 and up have the attachments. I have a 3KG and I keep the rear of the unit 3' from the wall in case I need to work on it. I have a US Roaster so the vent is on the left side of the machine and the way I have my venting makes the total width 5.5'

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
They are around 10K give or take options. I paid just under that in 2008. He sometimes a trade ins that he refurbishes. Great roaster! real work horse for its size.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
The roaster I have is the San Fransiscan 6lb roaster. The chaff is collected in the cylinder in the back of the roaster. Is that called a cyclone? An external chaff collector? It has an access door that you open to vac out all the chaff after roasting. It measures 4' front to back, ~16" side to side.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
That is what it is. Their SF-25 has the after burner in back. They build some nice roasters. Just leave enough space around the roaster in case you need to take something apart. I put mine on Total Lock casters, which means it cannot move whatsoever. Makes lfe so much easier when I need to do something, like move!