beginners question

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not new to coffee exactly but let's say new to actually carrying about it.
My understanding has been that coffee beans should be stored in an air tight light tight container so I actually purchased specialty coffee containers to store my beans in and they seem to be working very well.
Today I went out and purchased a burr coffer grinder and it also seems to be working very well. However it has a bean hopper on top that can store up to 8oz of beans which is certainly convenient.
Now my question, if I actually store beans in the hopper how long can they be stored there with as little degradation as possible. I'd hate to defeat the purpose of doing all of this to get a good cup of coffee and then ruin the coffee in the process.

Many thanks for any input.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "flphotog"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

You question is a good one. It shows that you've given it some thought.

You're right. Storing your beans in the hopper is convenient, but it isn't a good idea.

You didn't say what kind of grinder you have. Can you just measure and grind what you need as you need it? Does the hopper need to be full in order for the beans to make their way down to the burrs?

I doubt that the grinder's hopper is air tight. If you can avoid storing your beans in the grinder, it would be to your advantage. Keeping them in an air tight container until you're ready to use them is the best way to protect the beans from the elements.

Rose

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much for the response. It's a Mr Coffee burr grinder and not really expensive but I could afford it and it's a step up from the blade grinder I was using.
You are right the hopper probably isn't air tight and it is clear glass/plastic so light does get in.
I've seen some grinders that state that running them empty can damage the burrs, I haven't seen that warning on this one but I think initially I'll keep a small amount of beans in the hopper just to ensure that it doesn't run empty and the lid does seal fairly well so I'm thinking a day or two in the hopper won't hurt very much if at all.

I also picked up a french press today and tried them both out as soon as I got home, so far I'm happy with both.

Thanks

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Hi flphotog,

Coffee is at its best within two weeks of roast. A good solution to the bean storage dilema is only using fresh roasted beans, and only buying one week ahead. For me, that's about a 12 oz bag a week. Then you can feel free to store the beans in the hopper without issue.

Best of luck!

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Redswing I'm sure that would be the best way to go. For the moment I'm trying to balance having good coffee along with convenience as well as cost.
At least for now I'm going to keep a small amount of beans in the hopper, if only because emptying out the excess as I attempted to do last night can cause a bit of a mess, make that a big mess. I'm going to store my excess beans in these storage containers and just see how they work out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7DY5PQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
if you purchase a gram scale and weigh your beans for your daily use, you won't have any left in the grinder at the end of the day. I have a lab grinder I use when I only want to grind for a cup or two. Most grinders have retention so before you put fresh beans in, make sure there are no deposits from the previous day.