My Indoor Coffee-Plants aren't drinking their water@

turmeric

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I have read that I should water them at least once a week. I try to let them drain, but often find water in the saucers under them hours, and sometimes days later. Are the roots dying?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
How big are your plants?

Are they in large pots with plenty of good potting soil? (Miracle Grow potting soil has nutrients in it)

How much water are you giving them?

Are they in a sunny location in your house?

Do they look healthy? Are the leaves green with no rusty black spots?

It sounds like you're giving them too much water. Have you tried giving them less water and doing it twice a week instead of all at once?

You may find some helpful information on-line:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+care+for+coffee+plant

Last edited:

turmeric

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
How big are your plants?
They're about 6in. high.

Are they in large pots with plenty of good potting soil? (Miracle Grow potting soil has nutrients in it)
They're in 12in pots and I use Black Gold, which also has nutrients.

How much water are you giving them?
I water them once a week until water comes out the holes at the bottom, about a pitcher full each.

Are they in a sunny location in your house?

Do they look healthy? Are the leaves green with no rusty black spots?

It sounds like you're giving them too much water. Have you tried giving them less water and doing it twice a week instead of all at once?
They have an eastern exposure, I don't see black spots. I'll try less water twice a week. I don't want to drown them! Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Turmeric,

I'm not sure how big your water pitcher is, but if you're watering your coffee plants until the water comes out of the holes in the bottom of the pots, you're giving them too much water.

Your plants are only 6 inches high, and you have them in very large pots. (12 inch diameter)

The plant's roots aren't big enough yet. They won't drink up all of the water you're pouring in. The water will run down through the soil and out of the holes in the pot before the plant has a chance to get a good drink.

My coffee plant started out small like yours. Each time it got too big for the pot, I transplanted it into a bigger pot. (3 pots so far). Now, it's almost 5 years old, and it's 28 inches tall. I have it in a pot that's 12 inches in diameter (the pot is 11 inches tall). Once a week I give the coffee plant 2 cups of water (16 oz) and I pour the water directly around the base of the plant.

You can start out with one cup of water (8 oz) and see that happens. If the plant needs more water, you'll know it, because the leaves will start to droop in a few days. Then you can give it more water, but not too much.

Also, every 6 months, I remove the top three inches of soil and replace it with three inches of fresh Miracle Grow potting soil. That way the plant continues to get nutrients without my having to repot the plant.

That's what's worked for me so far.

Rose

Last edited:

Latest posts