Question for French Press users

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I started using a French Press a few months ago and it's been working out well. I do have one question I'd appreciate some info on. In the morning I usually make 2 to 3 cups of coffee to get me going and was wandering what is the best way you have found to keep the remaining coffee hot while drinking the first cup. I most likely would pour the second cup within no more then 30 to 45 minutes so I'm not talking about a long time.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
I started using a French Press a few months ago and it's been working out well. I do have one question I'd appreciate some info on. In the morning I usually make 2 to 3 cups of coffee to get me going and was wandering what is the best way you have found to keep the remaining coffee hot while drinking the first cup. I most likely would pour the second cup within no more then 30 to 45 minutes so I'm not talking about a long time.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Do you have a Salton Hot Tray around the house? Mine holds at about 165 degrees..... :)

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
a thermos will work the best or a thermo carafe, glass lined preferred, but stainless is an option

Last edited:

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Actually I have been using a stainless thermos but was thinking the a glass lined carafe might be a better option. I may look into that after the first of the year. I've already bought myself to many Christmas presents.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Just realize that even after you plunge your press pot, there are still particulates in the coffee, and will continue to over-extract. There isn't any way to keep coffee from degrading, even with a paper filter and a glass thermos. It may not be a noticeable difference in flavors for you, so I wouldn't try to tell you how to do what you do, but ideally, you'd had back to the kitchen and make a second press pot of coffee when you need a second cup.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Just realize that even after you plunge your press pot, there are still particulates in the coffee, and will continue to over-extract. There isn't any way to keep coffee from degrading, even with a paper filter and a glass thermos. It may not be a noticeable difference in flavors for you, so I wouldn't try to tell you how to do what you do, but ideally, you'd had back to the kitchen and make a second press pot of coffee when you need a second cup.

I'm sure that is the best way to handle it, just not sure that my "morning self" can handle it. I don't do mornings well.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm sure that is the best way to handle it, just not sure that my "morning self" can handle it. I don't do mornings well.

If you're going to drink the second cup of coffee in 35 minutes or so, just put it into a good thermal lined mug (with a lid) to keep it warm. Some of those mugs keep the coffee warm for at least an hour. Do you use milk and sweetener in your coffee? If so, after you to add them to the coffee, you won't notice much of a difference in the flavor 35 minutes later.

Rose

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
When having my coffee alone, I brew 32 ounces in a large Frieling insulated press pot. Sixteen ounces is poured directly into my coffee mug and the balance into a pre-warmed Thermos travel mug. After leisurely enjoying my first cup and eating breakfast, when I pour the remainder in my mug, it is still too hot to drink immediately. If the flavor is degraded from being held for 30-45 minutes, it is not detectable to my untrained palate.

Last edited: