K cups vs coffee shop vs pot o' coffee

kayfuslee

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a question regarding which is best with cost in the front of my mind and quality a close 2nd. Ok, it's not really that close but I feel better saying it is. My old Black & Decker drip coffee maker finally made it to coffee pot heaven, and I have to find its replacement. I was looking at the Keurig's but do not want to be swayed by the fact that it appears to be the sexy choice for coffee maker purchases nowadays.

I have a couple problems with it. It seems like those k cups only make about 10 oz(on average, maybe 12) of coffee. It seems to me that most people, including myself do not walk out of any coffee selling establishment with that small a coffee in the morning. Those k cups are not exactly cheap and I would need to use 2 at a time.

In doing some google research on the subject, everyone is comparing costs without taking into consideration 2 things. First, they are quick to point out the high cost of a coffee out, but no one mentions that the creamer and sugar is included in that cost. They compare this price vs k cups vs making it yourself with your own grounds before adding in the aforementioned. Secondly, I don't think they are comparing the same size coffees which further skews things.

So what do you think? Should I just view Keurig as something that's good and convenient for only a very small cup of coffee? Or should I just get another B & D and brew to my hearts content?

PS. I did say that cost is up front. But I must mention that I break the cardinal rule in keeping my cost per cup down. When driving to work with coffee made at home I have to drink it in those disposable cups bought from the store. I have used travel mugs and it just doesn't taste the same. But alas, I do gain some of that back by reusing them a couple times. I know, I know, it's an abomination!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello kayfuslee,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

We have had a lot of discussions here regarding the Keurig machines. If you do a search on this Forum, you will see all of the threads where this was discussed.

I have a feeling you are already leaning towards buying another drip coffee maker. Really, when you think about it, you'll probably see that getting a good drip coffee maker is the best way to go.

Rose

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Get a Clever Coffee Dripper, a grinder and something to heat the water (if you don't have those) and call it a day. You can buy coffee at $12-14/lb., drink a bigger cup than a Keurig, at about the same price - the difference is you'll start with better coffee and control the brewing parameters.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
My wife and I used a Keurig exclusively for several years. Let's face it, being able to stumble downstairs with just one eye barely cracked open and have a cup of coffee in under a minute with virtually no effort is seductive!

When that Keurig went toes-up, Green Mountain where I had bought the coffeemaker and been buying my coffee, offered me a new Keurig at no charge. By that time I had decided I would rather have better coffee than fast, easy coffee. YMMV, of course.

I believe any number of automatic drip coffeemakers will give you better coffee and more economical coffee than a Keurig, but you do have to make a little more effort and be a little more patient.

kayfuslee

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Well, I gave in and got the Keurig. If only the $15 B & D at Target had a timer like my old one that would have been that. I'm so weak!!

Rick