Burr grinder question

I've been using a flat burr grinder that I haven't been completely happy with so I just ordered a Baratza Encore - Conical Burr Coffee Grinder. In the past I've been keeping a couple days worth of coffee in the hopper but I think once I get the new grinder I'm going to try putting just enough beans in for the current grind.
    So with this in mind comes my question. Will it hurt the burrs to run the grinder empty for a short time as it runs out of coffee each morning? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't run it empty but don't remember where or if this is true or not.

Thanks
    Carson

I have never heard about it being bad to run a grinder empty, and can't imagine why that would be. I'm sure Baratza would be happy to field a phone call about it, if you want to be certain.

Congrats on the grinder, you'll love it. Pay careful attention the first few days; maybe use the same coffee you've been using, and see if you can detect an improvement in flavor. And, smart move, not storing beans in the hopper. I've been in the habit of turning my grinder on before adding the beans, thinking it's less stress on the motor to have it start with the burr spinning freely, rather than make the motor have to start and grind at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    I have never heard about it being bad to run a grinder empty, and can't imagine why that would be. I'm sure Baratza would be happy to field a phone call about it, if you want to be certain.

Congrats on the grinder, you'll love it. Pay careful attention the first few days; maybe use the same coffee you've been using, and see if you can detect an improvement in flavor. And, smart move, not storing beans in the hopper. I've been in the habit of turning my grinder on before adding the beans, thinking it's less stress on the motor to have it start with the burr spinning freely, rather than make the motor have to start and grind at the same time.
    Thanks, I was thinking it wouldn't hurt and appreciate the input. I was planning on using the same coffee so will see if I can detect an improvement. First grind will be Thursday morning, so hopefully a good way to start off the new year.

This probably goes without saying, but this is the only rule I stick to (from the baratza website):

Please adjust the grind setting either with the unit completely empty of coffee, or with the machine running. When adjusting to a finer grind setting, the burrs are drawing closer together. If there are beans in the burrs and the unit is off, the beans are resisting the movement of the burrs. Running the grinder kicks out the large particles that are resisting the adjustment. If the unit is completely empty of coffee, there is no need to run the machine as there are no beans resisting burr movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Redswing View Post
    This probably goes without saying, but this is the only rule I stick to (from the baratza website):

Please adjust the grind setting either with the unit completely empty of coffee, or with the machine running. When adjusting to a finer grind setting, the burrs are drawing closer together. If there are beans in the burrs and the unit is off, the beans are resisting the movement of the burrs. Running the grinder kicks out the large particles that are resisting the adjustment. If the unit is completely empty of coffee, there is no need to run the machine as there are no beans resisting burr movement.
    I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links