Probably a strange question

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Both my grinder and electric kettle say in the manuals to unplug when not in use. This seems a bit strange and quite annoying to me. Rather like having to unplug my TV or computer or every appliance which would really drive me nuts.
Does anyone know if this is really necessary or is it just lawyer speak? Does anyone do this or not do this. It seems to me that if it's not turned on it should be fine to leave it plugged in.
Any thoughts on this?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
There are a lot of reasons why they would say to unplug you appliances when not in use.

The main reason is because it prevents "little hands" from messing with the machines and having an accident. Unplugging the appliances will prevent anyone from accidently turning it on.

If you don't have little children in your house, you're probably okay with leaving the grinder and kettle plugged in.

Of course, if there is something wrong with the appliance or the electrical cord, it's safer if it's unplugged, especially if you're not at home or you're sleeping. Since you probably don't drop or abuse your grinder and electric kettle, you're probably okay to leave them plugged in.

Now-a-days, I unplug my toaster, because one day my old one decided to turn itself on - all by itself. That's scary, considering I was the only one in the room at the time. I replaced the toaster, but I feel better if the new one is unplugged until I'm ready to use it.

Rose

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
There are a lot of reasons why they would say to unplug you appliances when not in use.

The main reason is because it prevents "little hands" from messing with the machines and having an accident. Unplugging the appliances will prevent anyone from accidently turning it on.

If you don't have little children in your house, you're probably okay with leaving the grinder and kettle plugged in.

Of course, if there is something wrong with the appliance or the electrical cord, it's safer if it's unplugged, especially if you're not at home or you're sleeping. Since you probably don't drop or abuse your grinder and electric kettle, you're probably okay to leave them plugged in.

Now-a-days, I unplug my toaster, because one day my old one decided to turn itself on - all by itself. That's scary, considering I was the only one in the room at the time. I replaced the toaster, but I feel better if the new one is unplugged until I'm ready to use it.

Rose

All good reasons, but children are not allowed through my front door so I can forget that one. I think I'll take the middle ground and unplug when I'm going to be away.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
It's something they put in the manuals so that you can't come and sue them for the 1 in a million chance there's a malfunction that causes a fire. The lawyers make 'em put that in there.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
That was my thinking as well Peter. If I unplugged every appliance I'd never have time to use any of them.

louisan

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I can think of 2 actual cases they were probably referring to, both of which are good reasons to unplug. 1) In case of power surges, it can ruin the machinery for good. 2) Anything plugged into a socket draws power out, running up your bill and using unnecessary energy.

Helpful tip - put everything in the house on flippable switches. Like, plug your electronics into strips which you can simply turn on when you want to use everything in the living room, for example. You'll notice the difference in the utility bill in one month if you unplug everything or use strips.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
You're correct, that there are some power savings to be had by plugging some things into a power strip, and a power strip can potentially protect from surges. But most countertop appliances, say a coffee grinder, aren't drawing power when idle. And who would want an ugly power strip sitting on the counter. You could hide/disguise it around the TV and related electronics, which do draw some juice on standby. Also, the power strips are not as great at surge-protection as their makers/retailers would have you believe, at least that's what my electrician buddies tell me. You can have a whole-house surge protector installed at the breaker box, which is a better way to protect equipment.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
You're correct, that there are some power savings to be had by plugging some things into a power strip, and a power strip can potentially protect from surges. But most countertop appliances, say a coffee grinder, aren't drawing power when idle. And who would want an ugly power strip sitting on the counter. You could hide/disguise it around the TV and related electronics, which do draw some juice on standby. Also, the power strips are not as great at surge-protection as their makers/retailers would have you believe, at least that's what my electrician buddies tell me. You can have a whole-house surge protector installed at the breaker box, which is a better way to protect equipment.
Actually Peter I'm very skeptical of the claims that "all" appliances draw power when plugged in. True some do and I suspect those with a lot of electronics, clocks, timers actually do. Appliances like electric kettles, grinders, etc. probably don't.
I've got a device on order to actually verify this, should have it on Wed this week. I'll report back my findings on this. I can't speak for all appliances but I'll let you know how mine do. I strongly suspect that the majority of mine don't.