Hario coffee grinder

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I received the Hario for Christmas and am very pleased with the results it produces. But, it takes 10 minutes to grind the 2 oz of beans each morning. Any suggestions on decreasing this time? At 68 years old that 10 minutes each day quickly adds up! Or, will this time be necessary to enjoy the perfect cup(s) every morning?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Last Christmas someone gave me a Hario Skerton Ceramic coffee grinder, and even though it grinds nicely, it was hard to manually grind the beans, and it seemed to take forever to grind the amount of beans that I needed - and then my wrist and shoulder hurt. I put it back in the box, and that's where it sits. I went back to using my electric grinder instead.

I don't think there is a way to decrease the grinding time, unless you get someone with muscles to do it for you.

Rose

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
So, what would be a recommended quality burr grinder which only needs to grind 2 oz per day? I bought a Black & Decker a couple of years ago but the consistency of the grind is really bad and the clean-up is virtually impossible

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I just brew with a cone shaped drip at home & an REI French Press when camping. I just recently started buying the beans from local roasters, Novel & 7 Mile Cafe, and found that the taste and aroma are much more enjoyable than grocery store bought beans. But, I did research both grinders and did rule out the Lido 2 because of no mechanical or efficiency advantage over my Hario. I am perplexed over some of the negative reviews of the Encore as far as the quality of construction. Does the slower rpm of the grinder make for a more consistent grind? Can it be disassembled easily for daily cleaning? Is it considered a quality product? I reviewed the ratings of their more expensive grinder and also noticed a lot of negative reviews on the quality of construction. Where can you go to evaluate several models at a brick & mortar store?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Don't be afraid of the negative reviews... any and all products produced by humans will have some defects. Since the internet is perfect for the whiners, it casts a shadow on what is a great grinder. Just trust those who have an Encore; I've recommended them to plenty of customers, and have zero complaints.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
As Peter said, don't be to swayed by internet reviews. I recently purchased an Encore at least partially based on Peters suggestion and love it. As for your specific questions I'll try and answer them based on my experience.

1. Does the slower rpm of the grinder make for a more consistent grind?

I believe the consistent grind is more a function of the conical burrs in the grinder. The slower grind speed reduces the operating temperature which degrade the coffee less then the higher temp produced but a higher grind speed.

2. Can it be disassembled easily for daily cleaning?

Yes.

3. Is it considered a quality product?

Yes. This is considered an entry level grinder but is a quality grinder. Unless you need a specific feature provided by a higher priced product I don't you would see a difference the the ground coffee.

4. Where can you go to evaluate several models at a brick & mortar store?

This is a difficult question. However I think it would be difficult to really compare a product like this in a store unless they let you grind and brew coffee?

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for your valued comments. I just placed an order for a Capresso 565 and will continue to use the Hario on sailing/camping trips.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
What? The Capresso didn't have any negative reviews? ;-)

I hope I'm wrong, but when you need service, have fun calling Capresso.

I bought a used 2-YO Baratza on craigslist that stopped working shortly after getting it home. I called Baratza, they diagnosed it over the phone, and sent parts at no charge - not even postage. I hear stuff like that all the time on coffee forums. I don't think there's another company with better customer service.

The Capresso may be as good a grinder in the short term, but IMHO, I wouldn't buy anything other than a Baratza.

StarCoffee

Nov 30, 2014
New York
Visit site
I don't see the OP asking about grinding for espresso. For everything non-espresso, the Encore wins over the Lido 2 hands down, assuming you have electricity.

The OP was talking about a Hario, which means he's using a manual grinder. The Lido 2 is more efficient, assuming he wants to save some time.

FYI I don't see the OP denying that he does not grind for espresso

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Is there a unbiased website that does "side by side" comparisons of equipment related to coffee making? I guess something similar to Consumer Reports? I think my next purchase will be to upgrade from my Cuisinart coffee maker. I am aware of SCCA but am looking for more detailed test results instead of a summary.