Ground size and other questions please!

ratchet

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm just getting started grinding and brewing. I was given a "pour over" gift for Christmas and have already started using a Clever Dripper. From what I can ascertain, when using either, a course ground is recommended. Could some folks please link or post an image of a course ground size? After that, kindly suggest steeping time(s) and when and how long to stir?
Also, I notice there are a lot of used burr grinders on ebay. Any significance to that, e.g. do folks have issues with them? I can pretty much get a consistent size with a regular grinder by not grinding all of the beans at once for even one cup.
Thank you for the help!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Are you using a paper filter in your pourover? Do you have a pourover besides the Clever Coffee Dripper? It sounds like you use a blade grinder, which is why I ask about the paper filter. If you use paper, the best way to use a blade grinder is to grind very fine, because that's the only way a blade grinder can achieve any uniformity in particle size. If you want to grind less fine, they suck, and you'd be better off plopping down the cash for a burr grinder, and a conical burr grinder at that.

Grind fineness is on a teeter-totter with steep time. For full-immersion brewing such as CCD or press pot, my preference is to grind finer and steep shorter.

An image won't tell you much; even with a coin in their for scale reference, it's very hard to tell the differences. Look for a grind that mimics table sugar, or even a little finer.

But remember, all the advice is nothing more than guidelines; you'll have to experiment and see what works best for your equipment, and for your tastes.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Are you using a paper filter in your pourover? Do you have a pourover besides the Clever Coffee Dripper? It sounds like you use a blade grinder, which is why I ask about the paper filter. If you use paper, the best way to use a blade grinder is to grind very fine, because that's the only way a blade grinder can achieve any uniformity in particle size. If you want to grind less fine, they suck, and you'd be better off plopping down the cash for a burr grinder, and a conical burr grinder at that.

Grind fineness is on a teeter-totter with steep time. For full-immersion brewing such as CCD or press pot, my preference is to grind finer and steep shorter.

An image won't tell you much; even with a coin in their for scale reference, it's very hard to tell the differences. Look for a grind that mimics table sugar, or even a little finer.

But remember, all the advice is nothing more than guidelines; you'll have to experiment and see what works best for your equipment, and for your tastes.

How fine do you grind for French Press? I find with a finer grind I get a lot of grounds in my coffee and for this reason use a courser grind. I have my Encore set on 35.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
My Virtuoso is set on 12, with 40 being the coarsest. My press pot has a screen that's a tad finer than most. But to my way of thinking, there's no way around the sludge in a press pot; coarser or finer, you'll still have plenty. So I stay away from the last schluck, and all is well. 14oz. water, 28g coffee, steep for 3:30, with a fine grind.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
My Virtuoso is set on 12, with 40 being the coarsest. My press pot has a screen that's a tad finer than most. But to my way of thinking, there's no way around the sludge in a press pot; coarser or finer, you'll still have plenty. So I stay away from the last schluck, and all is well. 14oz. water, 28g coffee, steep for 3:30, with a fine grind.

Thanks, I just tried a slightly finer grind and it seemed ok, I'll keep experimenting with it.