Ratio vs water temperature

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I just measured the brewing temperature of my Cuisinart coffee maker and found that the basket water only measured an average of 185°. So, until I purchase another machine, would I either adjust the grind size of the bean or adjust the amount of coffee used to compensate for the low temperature?

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I placed the Thermapen in the basket filled partially with water. I had run 5 brew cycles of water only to get the average temperature.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
You could do a test, using the same grind and ratio, swing the basket out (if possible) and use some 200*, or so, water from a kettle and see if you notice a flavor improvement. I wouldn't say the SCCA temp parameters are wrong, but your taste buds are the final judge.

I have not heard about compensating for water temp with grind settings or amount of coffee. It would be interesting to hear your results if you do some experimenting. My guess is that either grinding finer or using more coffee will help, but my only suggestion will be to do one change at a time.

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I plan to increase the amount from 52 grams to 60 grams per liter tomorrow morning. I will leave the Hario at the same setting. Is temperature at 195 - 205 as critical as I have read about in your experience?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I plan to increase the amount from 52 grams to 60 grams per liter tomorrow morning. I will leave the Hario at the same setting. Is temperature at 195 - 205 as critical as I have read about in your experience?

I can't say that it's not; for the last ten years I've only done manual brewing, using a Clever Coffee Dripper or press pot, etc.

I would guess that the 195-205 range is based on the SCCA doing plenty of 'research' but the contrarian in me says to trust your own preferences. I will say that I enjoy using a Yama siphon brewer, and believe that method owes its success to the fact that the slurry temp is closely held during the entire brew. That can be the bane of full-immersion methods like a press pot; the water starts at the right temp, but can fall out of the accepted range during the steeping period.

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I have a Hario dripper on order. After reading all the pros/cons on the quality of the quality coffee makers I will experiment with the pour over method which adheres to the KISS principle. All that I need to get now is a kettle with a narrow spout instead of spending several hundred dollars on a coffee maker that may or may not work.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
That's the kicker on pourovers, especially something like a Hario or a Kone; they expect you to do the controlling on the pace of the pour, as opposed to the cone filter holders with a hole or three in the bottom.

A good mod for almost any kettle is to fashion a small cotter pin, or a piece of wire clipped to the spout. It will allow a very precise pour, as it encourages the trickle to flow off a small point.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Spout, Squished 001.jpg

That's a Bonavita gooseneck kettle. First, I squished the spout with a pliers, but it didn't help much. So I found some wire, about the thickness of a paperclip and cut it 3/4" of an inch, folded it back on itself and slid it on. Works very well.

The initial attempt was with a cotter pin on a wider-spouted, "normal" electric kettle, which also worked well.

Pourover Bliss 001.jpg

Pardon the old ugly sink, before the remodel...

Pourover Bliss 003.jpg

Last edited:

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the picture, now I got the idea. Tried increasing the amount of coffee to 60 g per liter from 52. I preferred the taste at 52, I believe it is too strong for my taste. Awaiting for the wife to give her opinion. I did not tell her that I changed the ratio.

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Well, I cannot blame the water temperature anymore, impulsed bought a moccamaster yesterday. The only variables left now are the coffee quality (roast), the grind and the operator.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Its always difficult to achieve perfect cup at the beginning. But it is also fun. It takes many tries and along the way you get to learn and experience the great world of coffee.

This is what I tried in the past.

Your coffee should be brewed at between 190-205.
You should be drinking your coffee at around 170
Your grind should be according to the recommendation of your brewing method.
And lastly, your bean should be roasted freshly.

If you follow above, you should be able to find the taste that will hit your spot. But above rule is really basic and also not always bring out the best out of the bean you brewing.
This is where you can experiment with different temperature of both brewing and drinking, different ground, and also different type of roast.

I have tried many highly sought after beans and not always they were the best cup i ever had.

Good Luck with your Journey.....