Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ratio vs water temperature

I just measured the brewing temperature of my Cuisinart coffee maker and found that the basket water only measured an average of 185. So, until I purchase another machine, would I either adjust the grind size of the bean or adjust the amount of coffee used to compensate for the low temperature?

Super Moderator
    Where did you put the thermometer when you measured the temperature of the water?

I placed the Thermapen in the basket filled partially with water. I had run 5 brew cycles of water only to get the average temperature.

You could do a test, using the same grind and ratio, swing the basket out (if possible) and use some 200*, or so, water from a kettle and see if you notice a flavor improvement. I wouldn't say the SCCA temp parameters are wrong, but your taste buds are the final judge.

I have not heard about compensating for water temp with grind settings or amount of coffee. It would be interesting to hear your results if you do some experimenting. My guess is that either grinding finer or using more coffee will help, but my only suggestion will be to do one change at a time.

I plan to increase the amount from 52 grams to 60 grams per liter tomorrow morning. I will leave the Hario at the same setting. Is temperature at 195 - 205 as critical as I have read about in your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by H12Mike View Post
    I plan to increase the amount from 52 grams to 60 grams per liter tomorrow morning. I will leave the Hario at the same setting. Is temperature at 195 - 205 as critical as I have read about in your experience?
    I can't say that it's not; for the last ten years I've only done manual brewing, using a Clever Coffee Dripper or press pot, etc.

I would guess that the 195-205 range is based on the SCCA doing plenty of 'research' but the contrarian in me says to trust your own preferences. I will say that I enjoy using a Yama siphon brewer, and believe that method owes its success to the fact that the slurry temp is closely held during the entire brew. That can be the bane of full-immersion methods like a press pot; the water starts at the right temp, but can fall out of the accepted range during the steeping period.

I have a Hario dripper on order. After reading all the pros/cons on the quality of the quality coffee makers I will experiment with the pour over method which adheres to the KISS principle. All that I need to get now is a kettle with a narrow spout instead of spending several hundred dollars on a coffee maker that may or may not work.

That's the kicker on pourovers, especially something like a Hario or a Kone; they expect you to do the controlling on the pace of the pour, as opposed to the cone filter holders with a hole or three in the bottom.

A good mod for almost any kettle is to fashion a small cotter pin, or a piece of wire clipped to the spout. It will allow a very precise pour, as it encourages the trickle to flow off a small point.

Great idea, any chance of a sketch?

Ratio vs water temperature-spout-squished-001.jpg

That's a Bonavita gooseneck kettle. First, I squished the spout with a pliers, but it didn't help much. So I found some wire, about the thickness of a paperclip and cut it 3/4" of an inch, folded it back on itself and slid it on. Works very well.

The initial attempt was with a cotter pin on a wider-spouted, "normal" electric kettle, which also worked well.

Ratio vs water temperature-pourover-bliss-001.jpg

Pardon the old ugly sink, before the remodel...

Ratio vs water temperature-pourover-bliss-003.jpg
    Last edited by peterjschmidt; 01-09-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links