Filter question

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
I absolutely love my Clever Dripper. I absolutely despise sludge in my mug.

And the the paper filter eliminates said sludge. But the question of coffee oils (flavor?) being absorbed by the filter and thereby not making it into the mug arises. I just bought one of those 'permanent' filters with the very fine mesh so as to allow the oils to get through but, guess what?? SO DOES THE SLUDGE!!

Not only that, but the slowness of the coffee making it's way through the paper filter adds to the steeping time and has been included in my timing scheme. With the permanent filter, the coffee just rushes straight through adding negligible time for steeping - necessitating recalculation.

What at am I missing here?? I'm sure someone has already 'been here, done that' and has a solution for it. So, please, lay it on me, wouldja?? I'd appreciate it.... :)

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
No first hand experience with the fine mesh stainless filters but I'm guessing that there is no way to allow the oils through but not allow any of the fine coffee particles. Not sure what coffee you are using but if you are grinding with a conical burr grinder you could try going to a courser grind to reduce the particles that get through but doing this will probably change the coffee you are getting out of the process probably not for the better.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I absolutely love my Clever Dripper. I absolutely despise sludge in my mug.

And the the paper filter eliminates said sludge. But the question of coffee oils (flavor?) being absorbed by the filter and thereby not making it into the mug arises. I just bought one of those 'permanent' filters with the very fine mesh so as to allow the oils to get through but, guess what?? SO DOES THE SLUDGE!!

Not only that, but the slowness of the coffee making it's way through the paper filter adds to the steeping time and has been included in my timing scheme. With the permanent filter, the coffee just rushes straight through adding negligible time for steeping - necessitating recalculation.

What at am I missing here?? I'm sure someone has already 'been here, done that' and has a solution for it. So, please, lay it on me, wouldja?? I'd appreciate it.... :)

Have you tried a coarser grind with the "permanent filter"? Is it stainless steel? Like the Coava or now Able filter? I would suggest first a coarser grind.
I use a Coava filter with a paper filter inside it in my Chemex. I prefer a real clean cup. I know many like the oils passing through. Depends on preference.
It works great for me. I use the old Mr. Coffee #6 cone filters.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I don't think coarser grinds reduce sludge, in fact that may increase it. The sludge isn't caused by the actual grind particles, but by fines that are produced as the beans are crushed, teeny/tiny fines that are way smaller than the actual grind particles.

You'll learn to live with the sludge, and stay away from the last gulp.

You can simply add however long it took for the paper filter to drain, to your total steep time. I'd also suggest doing two cups back to back, with the paper and then the permanent filter, to highlight what the difference might be in the flavor and mouthfeel.

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
I don't think coarser grinds reduce sludge, in fact that may increase it. The sludge isn't caused by the actual grind particles, but by fines that are produced as the beans are crushed, teeny/tiny fines that are way smaller than the actual grind particles.

You'll learn to live with the sludge, and stay away from the last gulp.

You can simply add however long it took for the paper filter to drain, to your total steep time. I'd also suggest doing two cups back to back, with the paper and then the permanent filter, to highlight what the difference might be in the flavor and mouthfeel.
Naahhh. Thanks to all for your input but if there isn't a better permanent filter on the market or some other way to prevent that gunk from ending up in my mug, then this stubborn oldf@rt will just stick with the paper filters. Otherwise, the relevant logic of the matter would be similar to that of iced tea.

First you you boil the tea to make it hot. Then you put ice in it to make it cold. Next, you put lemon in it to make it tart, and then you put sugar in it to make it sweet again.

First i I bought a French press. I wore out the foot of the plunger by wrapping filters around it to prevent sludge so I bought a Melitta pour-over unit so I'd have filters. Then I learned that I had no control over the steeping time so I bought a Clever Dripper. There's no way in h3ll that this old man is gonna go back to sippin' sludge..... :) (exits, laughing.....)

Thanks again, everyone.....